Families left without water for five days after Islington Council workers break pipe
A block of 10 homes was without water for almost five days after council staff broke a water pipe.
Properties in Dawlish House, Pleasance Place, Islington, had no running water from the afternoon of June 22 until 10pm on June 26 after contractors flooded the basement flat while doing maintenance work.
The couple in that flat were moved to a hotel but the rest of the block had to struggle on with just a few bottles of water over the weekend. A few more bottles arrived on Monday, but council officers told them they had run out.
Kary Anne Ward, 36, who lives in Dawlish house with her two-year-old son, said: “I was very annoyed because it wasn’t handled properly.
“How can you give someone with a child that amount of water? It’s a hygiene issue, plus I need to prepare my baby some food and do the cleaning. The flat was stinking by the end – how can you not wash your clothes for five days? It’s too much. I felt really abandoned.”
You may also want to watch:
Debbie Lewis, 50, said: “It was awful – it was like living in a caravan but worse. We only had four bottles of water for everything. In the end I had to go to a neighbour for a bucket of water just so I could flush the toilet.”
Cllr James Murray, Islington Council’s executive member for housing and development, said: “We are very sorry for the disruption this incident caused to residents, and we have given residents �25 vouchers to apologise for poor communication whilst the problem was being fixed.
- 1 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 2 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 3 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 4 Clerkenwell fire: Margery Street office block blaze under investigation
- 5 Finsbury Park house to be transformed for ‘Halloween experience’
- 6 Tony Blair joins celebration to mark 101 years of Highbury Catholic church
- 7 Islington eco-festival opens – but what about the Edmonton incinerator?
- 8 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 9 Tree wardens to be recruited on every Islington estate 'to advocate for trees'
- 10 Helen Anderson: CCTV appeal to trace witnesses to Finsbury Park mum's murder
“Housing officers will be reviewing what happened to make sure procedures are improved for the future.”