Family of Alan Cartwright organise bike ride in teen’s memory
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Cycle-mad 15-year-old, stabbed to death on Friday, to be honoured in event held on his birthday
The grieving family of a cycle-loving teenager stabbed to death on Friday have organised a bike ride in his honour.
Alan Cartwright, 15, was with friends heading up Caledonian Road, near the junction with Copenhagen Street, Islington, when the group were attacked by three males heading the other way.
The wounded youngster managed to continue cycling a short distance after the assault, but soon collapsed and was later pronounced dead at the scene.
In June, on what would have been Alan’s 16th birthday, his relatives have arranged a sponsored bike ride in his memory.
You may also want to watch:
Speaking on her Instagram page, his sister Cherrie Smith said: “As you all know my brother loved his bikes.
“On June 6, his 16th birthday, we will be doing a sponsored bike ride for our baby boy to raise money for a campaign we are putting together.
- 1 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 2 Archway murder investigation launched as 15-year-old victim named
- 3 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 4 Islington man sentenced after spate of motorbike and bike thefts
- 5 Archway man jailed after causing 'totally avoidable' crash
- 6 High Court ruling 'will not directly impact' People Friendly Streets
- 7 Two 16-year-olds charged with murder of Islington student
- 8 Tributes paid to Islington student fatally stabbed in Tottenham
- 9 Thousands back petition for exemptions in Highbury People Friendly Streets
- 10 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
“Please please come and join us to help raise money.”
She added: “And also we are doing this to keep my brother’s memory alive.”
Detectives investigating the killing have released CCTV of the moment he was attacked.
Det Ch Insp Chris Jones, leading the murder investigation, said: “The footage of the suspects attacking Alan and his friends is truly shocking. Alan stood no chance of defending himself against his attacker who casually stepped out in front of him and stabbed him in the chest.
“Identifying and arresting the suspects is our absolute priority.
“We are working tirelessly and the investigation is moving at a fast pace.
“It is obvious from the footage that Caledonian Road is busy with cars and pedestrians.”
Police are asking anyone with information to call the incident room on 020 8345 3734 or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or via crimestoppers-uk.org.