Finsbury Park murder investigation under way as woman in her 20s found dead after ‘Christmas Eve attack’
- Credit: Archant
A murder investigation is under way after a woman was found dead in Finsbury Park.
Police believe she may have been attacked in the park on Christmas Eve. A passer-by called police after finding a body in a hut near the softball pitch at about 4.25pm yesterday.
Officers and medics attended but the woman, believed to be in her 20s, was pronounced dead at the scene.
She has yet to be formally identified and police are trying to identify her next of kin. A post-mortem will take place today.
Forensics officers were this afternoon seen examining items of clothing behind the hut where the body was found. Det Ch Insp Nicola Wall is leading the investigation. She said: “We believe this woman was attacked whilst in the park and this may have occurred on Christmas Eve. Her body was discovered in an outbuilding next to a sports pitch.
You may also want to watch:
“We are trying to establish the motive for the attack and would like to hear from anyone who has seen anything suspicious in that part of Finsbury Park around the Christmas holiday period.”
A crime scene is in place at the park. No arrests have been made.
- 1 State-of-the-art £4m facility in pipeline for Islington Boxing Club
- 2 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 3 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 4 Stan Kroenke and the European Super League have killed Arsenal FC
- 5 Man arrested after police officer hit by car in Dartmouth Park
- 6 ESL 'the death of what football should be about', say Arsenal fans
- 7 Highbury performer marks World Burlesque Day with free classes
- 8 Chamber music and arts festival scheduled for Islington this summer
- 9 Islington's by-election candidates confirmed
- 10 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
Anyone with information can call the incident room on 0208 785 8244 or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111. You can also tweet police via @MetCC.