Finsbury Park phone snatcher is caught by a DOG
- Credit: Archant
It’s quite rare for a phone snatcher to be caught – and it is very, very rare for one to be caught by a dog.
But incredibly that is what happened last night in Finsbury Park.
A woman had her mobile swiped from her hand by two teens on bikes while she was walking along Stroud Green Road at about 8.40pm.
They rode off around the corner into Albert Road, where the aptly-named Tyson was being walked by his owner.
The dog set off in pursuit and snapped at the heels of one of the lads, who jumped off his bike and cowered against a wall, terrified.
You may also want to watch:
Roger Sahota, a Stroud Green councillor for Haringey, was there and called the police.
He told the Gazette: “I was coming home having been swimming and there was a bit of a commotion in Albert Road.
- 1 Countryside walking would be lovely - but the city has much to offer
- 2 Arsenal's Women's Super League clash with West Ham postponed
- 3 Thousands back petition for exemptions in Highbury People Friendly Streets
- 4 Two 16-year-olds charged with murder of Islington student
- 5 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 6 Tributes paid to Islington student fatally stabbed in Tottenham
- 7 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 8 Number of Islington opiate addicts seeking help doubles during lockdown
- 9 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 10 Teaching mentor comes 'full circle' working at Islington school
“I then saw Tyson and his owner had cornered this young lad, who had been chased down the road by the victim, a young woman, who had her phone snatched.
“Unluckily for them Tyson was doing his rounds and had chased one of them and snapped at his heels, making him jump off his bike. He was terrified of the dog and it was the dog that made sure he didn’t run off.
“He got his just deserts and Tyson was the hero. His owner was gushing with pride. I’m sure he got an even bigger T-Bone steak than normal.”
Police arrived at the scene and arrested a 15-year-old boy on suspicion of theft.
A Scotland Yard spokesman said: “Police were called to Albert Road at 8.40pm to reports of a robbery by two people on bikes.
“The victim was a woman in her 20s.
“On arrival a male had been detained by members of the public. A 15-year-old boy was arrested on suspicion of theft and is in custody at a north London police station. Enquiries are ongoing to trace a second individual.”