Finsbury Park phone snatcher is caught by a DOG
- Credit: Archant
It’s quite rare for a phone snatcher to be caught – and it is very, very rare for one to be caught by a dog.
But incredibly that is what happened last night in Finsbury Park.
A woman had her mobile swiped from her hand by two teens on bikes while she was walking along Stroud Green Road at about 8.40pm.
They rode off around the corner into Albert Road, where the aptly-named Tyson was being walked by his owner.
The dog set off in pursuit and snapped at the heels of one of the lads, who jumped off his bike and cowered against a wall, terrified.
You may also want to watch:
Roger Sahota, a Stroud Green councillor for Haringey, was there and called the police.
He told the Gazette: “I was coming home having been swimming and there was a bit of a commotion in Albert Road.
- 1 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 2 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 3 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 4 Letters on low traffic neighbourhoods
- 5 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 6 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?
- 7 'No further action' after officer knelt on neck of Black suspect in Finsbury Park
- 8 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 9 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 10 Two men jailed for life after double murder
“I then saw Tyson and his owner had cornered this young lad, who had been chased down the road by the victim, a young woman, who had her phone snatched.
“Unluckily for them Tyson was doing his rounds and had chased one of them and snapped at his heels, making him jump off his bike. He was terrified of the dog and it was the dog that made sure he didn’t run off.
“He got his just deserts and Tyson was the hero. His owner was gushing with pride. I’m sure he got an even bigger T-Bone steak than normal.”
Police arrived at the scene and arrested a 15-year-old boy on suspicion of theft.
A Scotland Yard spokesman said: “Police were called to Albert Road at 8.40pm to reports of a robbery by two people on bikes.
“The victim was a woman in her 20s.
“On arrival a male had been detained by members of the public. A 15-year-old boy was arrested on suspicion of theft and is in custody at a north London police station. Enquiries are ongoing to trace a second individual.”