Finsbury Park sex predator who attacked women is jailed – after trying to fly to Egypt while on bail
- Credit: Archant
A sexual predator from Finsbury Park who groped lone women in a Paddington underpass has been jailed for 16 months – after trying to fly to Egypt while on bail.
Hasan Mhd Fayez Alkhabbaz, of Fonthill Road, pleaded guilty to six counts of sexual assault in September and was sentenced today at Southwark Crown Court.
Ten women came forward to say they had been assaulted in the Joe Strummer Subway between October 2016 and March this year.
The victims, all aged between 19 and 29, described being approached from behind by an Arabic man who violently groped them until they confronted him, at which point he ran off into the subway.
Alkhabbaz was stopped in the area in March and pointed out in an ID parade. Mobile phone and Oyster card analysis then placed him near the scene for the majority of the offences.
You may also want to watch:
He was convicted of one charge in April and given a 22-week suspended sentence but in July was charged with another six counts.
He pleaded not guilty to all and was granted bail, but in September, days before his trial hearing at Southwark Crown Court, he was stopped at Heathrow trying to fly to Africa. The Syrian passport he used was issued in August, seven days after he was granted bail.
- 1 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 2 Teaching mentor comes 'full circle' working at Islington school
- 3 Thames Water faces councillors’ anger over billing changes for tenants
- 4 Islington writers among the winners of 2021 awards
- 5 Arsenal column: Granit Xhaka the stand out performer since Boxing Day but some of his senior professionals continue to disappoint
- 6 Police search for suspects after teen stabbed in the face in the Cally
- 7 Islington charity choir smashes fundraising target with help from Brian Eno
- 8 Spot tiny art 'gems' along The Parkland Walk
- 9 E-fit appeal after teen partially blinded in Canonbury Road baton attack
- 10 Author inspired by Highbury for debut sci-fi novel about aliens
Alkhabbaz was arrested for breach of court bail and remanded in custody until his hearing.
He then pleaded guilty to all six charges and was remanded in custody.
Pc Jonny Wise, of Westminster CID, who led the investigation, said: “Alkhabbaz is a sexual predator who carried out a series of premeditated and predatory sexual assaults on lone women simply going about their daily lives.
“He has shown complete disregard to the women he assaulted and the fact he offended in daylight hours in a public place, clearly shows the danger he is to society.
“The effect of his actions on the victims has been severe and lasting. I hope this sentence serves as some comfort to these women and reassures the communities of London, that all allegations of sexual offences will be investigated to the highest standards of the Met.”
Three other offences were discontinued due to insufficient evidence.