Finsbury Park terror attack: Suspect named as 47-year-old Darren Osborne
- Credit: Archant
The man arrested after a terror attack at the Muslim Welfare House in Seven Sisters Road is believed to be a father-of-four from Weston-super-Mare.
At least 10 people were injured when a van ploughed into a group of worshippers as they exited the mosque at about 12.20am today.
The van driver was detained by a crowd of witnesses, and held for 15 minutes until police arrived.
He was arrested at the scene, as depicted in the attached video footage.
Police have not yet formally released the suspect’s name, but the Gazette’s sister paper in Weston understands he is 47-year-old Darren Osborne, who grew up there.
You may also want to watch:
Friends of Osborne have taken to social media to describe their shock at seeing him pictured as the attacker in national news coverage of the incident.
One person described it as “unbelievable” and added that it was “very sad for his family too”.
- 1 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 2 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 3 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 4 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 5 Letters on low traffic neighbourhoods
- 6 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 7 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 8 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?
- 9 Two men jailed for life after double murder
- 10 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
Another man, who the Gazette has agreed not to name, was a little less charitable, describing him as “the sort of guy that, as soon as you see him come into the pub, you’re immediately checking out where the nearest exit is”.
Police say they are treating the incident as a terror attack.
Osborne has been detained on suspicion of attempted murder, murder and terrorism offences.
The suspect was not previously known to the UK’s security services, government officials have revealed.