Finsbury Park toddler death: Bidhya Sagar Das admits killing son
- Credit: police
A father has admitted killing his one-year-old son and trying to murder another young child in a Finsbury Park flat.
Bidhya Sagar Das, 33, attacked the toddlers with a hammer at a flat in Wilberforce Road on the evening of Saturday March 18.
The boy, Gabriel Bibekdas Sonu, died in the early hours of the following morning, while a girl – who cannot be identified for legal reasons – was left fighting for her life.
Das, of Finsbury Park, was due to face trial next month for murder and attempted murder.
But at a brief hearing, he pleaded guilty to Gabriel’s manslaughter by diminished responsibility and the attempted murder of the other child.
You may also want to watch:
Prosecutor Bill Emlyn Jones said that in light of psychiatric reports, the pleas were accepted.
Mr Justice Spencer said options include a discretionary life sentence, a hospital order with indefinite restrictions, or a hybrid order.
- 1 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 2 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 3 Police search for suspects after teen stabbed in the face in the Cally
- 4 Letters: Environment and tenants' manifesto
- 5 Arsenal Women trio issue apology to team mates following Dubai trip
- 6 Student on 'emotional' first day giving Covid jab to NHS workers
- 7 Did Islington house prices rise by 13% in 2020?
- 8 Corporation Street fight: Boy, 15, stabbed in the face in the Cally
- 9 Two 17-year-olds charged after alleged knifepoint robbery in Highgate
- 10 Council tax set to rise amid 'hand-to-mouth' Covid-19 government funding
The senior judge, sitting at the Old Bailey, asked for an update on the condition of the surviving child before the next hearing.
He told the defendant: “Your case is going to be adjourned now for sentence on Thursday October 12. Until then you will be remanded in custody. You will go back to hospital as before.”
Das, who was helped by a Bengali interpreter, gave away no emotion as he sat in the dock.