Finsbury Park toddler death: Bidhya Sagar Das admits killing son
- Credit: police
A father has admitted killing his one-year-old son and trying to murder another young child in a Finsbury Park flat.
Bidhya Sagar Das, 33, attacked the toddlers with a hammer at a flat in Wilberforce Road on the evening of Saturday March 18.
The boy, Gabriel Bibekdas Sonu, died in the early hours of the following morning, while a girl – who cannot be identified for legal reasons – was left fighting for her life.
Das, of Finsbury Park, was due to face trial next month for murder and attempted murder.
But at a brief hearing, he pleaded guilty to Gabriel’s manslaughter by diminished responsibility and the attempted murder of the other child.
You may also want to watch:
Prosecutor Bill Emlyn Jones said that in light of psychiatric reports, the pleas were accepted.
Mr Justice Spencer said options include a discretionary life sentence, a hospital order with indefinite restrictions, or a hybrid order.
- 1 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 2 Two Tube lines closed after 10pm as TfL staff isolate due to Covid
- 3 Islington and Camden police chief to leave Met after 29 years
- 4 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 5 New 'ethical' Deliveroo-style service coming to Islington
- 6 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 7 'One of my lovebirds is missing' - Can you help?
- 8 Letters: Holloway Prison site development
- 9 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 10 Two men jailed for life after double murder
The senior judge, sitting at the Old Bailey, asked for an update on the condition of the surviving child before the next hearing.
He told the defendant: “Your case is going to be adjourned now for sentence on Thursday October 12. Until then you will be remanded in custody. You will go back to hospital as before.”
Das, who was helped by a Bengali interpreter, gave away no emotion as he sat in the dock.