Fire that destroyed Finsbury playground may be arson, say police
- Credit: Archant
A fire that ravaged a popular children’s playground last night may have been started deliberately, police say.
The Three Corners Adventure Playground, in Spa Fields Park, was all but destroyed a blaze that started around 9.20pm.
Four fire engines and about 210 firefighters tackled the flames in the park off Skinner Street, Finsbury.
The fire took hold quickly and tore through the wooden climbing frame, but they had the blaze under control just after 10pm.
Police are treating the fire as suspicious and are appealing for witnesses.
You may also want to watch:
Sgt Barry Leake said: ”We are keen to speak to anyone with information that can assist this investigation. Young people in Islington have been deprived of a much loved playground as a result of this deliberate fire and we are determined to catch the culprits.”
Cllr Richard Watts, Islington Council’s executive member for children and families, said: “I’m angry that vandals have destroyed part of this very popular adventure playground for Islington’s children.
- 1 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 2 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 3 Islington house prices rise £30k during Covid-19 pandemic year
- 4 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 5 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 6 Hackney photographer captures lockdown 'park life'
- 7 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 8 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 9 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 10 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
“Local young people were involved in designing the play structures themselves so children and families are rightly angry and upset by the damage this fire has caused.
“A police investigation is now underway to catch the culprits. We’re hoping to have the undamaged section of the playground open again tomorrow and will work to get the play structures repaired and ready for use again as soon as possible.”
Anyone with information can call 0776 678 1861 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.