Five arrested in murder probe after man found dead in Islington flat
- Credit: Archant
Police have arrested five people this morning in connection with the investigation into the murder of Mehmet Hassan.
Four men aged 28, 30, 27 and 24 years, were arrested on suspicion of murder at addresses in east and south London. A 24-year-old woman was also arrested on suspicion of murder at an address in Gillingham, Kent.
All five suspects remain in police custody at police stations across London.
Officers attended a property in Baxter Road at approximately 8.40pm on Monday after relatives contacted police to express concern for the welfare of Mr Hassan, 56.
When police forced entry to the property, a man was found dead inside the address.
You may also want to watch:
A post-mortem examination took place on Wednesday at Whittington mortuary, which gave the cause of death as neck and chest injuries.
Detectives believe the victim, a father-of-three, had been assaulted inside the address.
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 3 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 4 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 5 New pub opens in place of The Monarch in Chalk Farm Road
- 6 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 7 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 8 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
- 9 Two men jailed for life after double murder
- 10 Islington and Camden police chief to leave Met after 29 years
An incident room has opened under Detective Chief Inspector Andy Partridge, of the Homicide and Major Crime Command.
He said: “I would like to appeal to anyone who has seen any activity in and around this address to make contact with my officers. In particular I would like help from the public who can assist with the movements of the victim between 19.30hrs on Sunday (23 March) and shortly before police found the victim on Monday.”
The incident room can be contacted on 020 8358 0300.