Fraudsters steal £1,000 from elderly couple in Finsbury Park
- Credit: Archant
Callous thieves posing as workmen pretended there was a leak at an elderly couple’s home before stealing £1,000, police have revealed.
Detectives this week launched an appeal for witnesses and information following the theft in Ambler Road, Finsbury Park, on Saturday, December 21.
Two men gained entry to the house, telling the occupants – a 74-year-old man and a 60-year-old woman – that they were working next door and needed to check their taps.
When inside one of the suspects told the man there was a water leak – but was caught throwing a cup of water onto the ceiling and he became suspicious.
At this point, the couple also realised that two other people had been let into the house and were searching through their belongings.
When challenged, the four men made off towards Monsell Road – and police were called at 1.45pm.
The four suspects are described as a white male, 5ft 6ins tall, 25 years with short brown hair, clean shaven, slim build and a country accent wearing a dark blue baseball cap, dark blue jacket with ‘HH’ on the front jacket and dark blue trousers.
- 1 Teenager arrested in Deshuan Tuitt murder investigation
- 2 Teenage Highbury Fields fatal stabbing victim named by police
- 3 Inside the esports gaming arena coming to Islington's Upper Street
- 4 'All I could see was the water coming up': Clean-up begins after Holloway flooding
- 5 Landlord who did not provide kitchen for tenant fined £40,000
- 6 'Like a tsunami': Burst water main floods Islington street
- 7 Polio virus found in Islington sewage
- 8 Finsbury Park man due in court charged with pub murder
- 9 'An air fryer is this season's must-have for low-fat recipes'
- 10 Murder investigation after teenager stabbed in Islington park
The second is said to be a white male, 6ft tall, of 25 years with a large build and wearing a khaki jacket and trousers and a grey baseball cap.
The two other accomplices were wearing baseball caps.
Det Con Peter Fernandez of Islington CID said: “The men who pretended to be workmen took advantage of a vulnerable elderly couple who had every faith that they were genuinely there to check their taps. They entered their house knowing that whilst they did so, accomplices would slip inside and steal their cash.
“This incident has been extremely upsetting for the victims and they are being supported by their family. I urge anyone who knows the people involved to search their conscience and come forward, I am sure that they would feel disgusted if somebody had done this to a member of their own family.”
Anyone with information regarding this incident is asked to call Islington’s Serious Acquisitive Crime Unit on 101 quoting reference 2728196/13. Alternatively you can contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.