Gang jailed after torture raid in Finsbury Park

A GANG who tortured and handcuffed a couple in Finsbury Park then stole �1 million in jewellery from their shop were jailed for a total of 29 years on Tuesday (May 3).

The raid happened in May 8 last year when a 50-year-old man and a 56-year-old woman returned to their flat in Moray Road after a night out.

The woman went to bed, and as the man took a bath two masked burglars rushed into the room, hit him over the head with a brick and dragged him naked into the bedroom.

The men had smashed through the patio doors of the flat and laid in wait for the victims to get home.

The couple were then handcuffed and the gang held an axe to the male victim’s neck, telling him they could cut off his fingers if he didn’t cooperate.

Two of the suspects took keys and safe combinations to the victim’s jewellery shop in Edmonton, along with the man’s mobile phone.

They later called the flat to ask the couple how to disable the security alarms and which keys opened the shop.

Most Read

The remaining suspects then left the flat, leaving the victims handcuffed, but the man managed to open the from door with his teeth and call to the neighbours for help.

The fire service freed the couple and they were treated in hospital for minor injuries.

A search of their jewellery shop revealed close to �1million of gems and watches had been stolen, but �200,000 worth of jewels has still not been recovered.

Gary Williams, 38, of Whittle Close, Waltham Cross, was sentenced to ten-and-a-half years for conspiracy to burgle and concealing �800,000 worth of stolen goods.

Leon Williams, 37, of Cranley Gardens, Muswell Hill, was jailed for ten-and-a-half years for conspiracy to burgle.

Turker Mustafa, 28, of Foundry Gate, Waltham Cross, was sentenced to eight-and-a-half years for conspiracy to burgle.

Kady Wilson, 24, of Medici Close, Ilford, received a 12-month suspended sentence for concealing �800,000 of stolen jewellery at an earlier hearing.

Another man, Dean Burke, 39, of no fixed address, faces a retrial after the jury failed to reach a verdict.

Detective Inspector Mark Raymond, from Operation Trident, said: “This violent and audacious crime was well-planned and co-ordinated with every effort made to avoid detection and arrest. Their purpose was to steal �1million of jewellery with no regard for the victims.

“Trident is committed to prosecuting those who cause harm, intimidate others and threaten the lives of decent people going about their legitimate business. We will do all in our power to bring violent offenders to justice, dismantle organised criminal networks and provide reassurance to the community.”