Gang of four jailed for 34 years following “audacious” attack on bank security guard
- Credit: Archant
A Holloway gang viciously attacked a HSBC security guard who was delivering cash to a bank on Baker Street in October last year
Edward Smith, Kevin McGee, Rocky Goldsmith and Joe Tomlinson, all of Holloway, were jailed after being found guilty of conspiracy to rob for a total of 34 years at Blackfriars Crown Court on Friday June 12.
Detectives working under Operation Morguld foiled the plot to rob the bank when they observed Smith, 32, of Staveley Close, sizing up the bank and the surrounding area, before arresting him.
Tomlinson, 30, of Rydston Close, had been hiding in a nearby phone box before attacking the HSBC guard and snatching the cash box. He was apprehended by police when trying to make his escape on a motorbike driven by Goldsmith.
Realising that the robbery plot had failed, Goldsmith, 36, of Fleece Walk, sped off from the scene at speeds of 80mph and was later apprehended by detectives at a residential address followed by the arrest of McGee, 32, of Shearling Way, who had been the driver of an accomplice white van seen in the area prior to the incident.
You may also want to watch:
Detective Sergeant Alan Stimson said: “This was an audacious robbery concocted by four individuals who gave no thought to their victim.
“Tomlinson subjected the security custodian to such a vicious attack that he stood little chance in defending himself.
- 1 Student on 'emotional' first day giving Covid jab to NHS workers
- 2 Police search for suspects after teen stabbed in the face in the Cally
- 3 Hospital staff describe 'distressing' battle against rising Covid cases
- 4 Arsenal Women trio issue apology to team mates following Dubai trip
- 5 Tollington Park scrubs initiative thanks hospital staff with pizzas
- 6 Did Islington house prices rise by 13% in 2020?
- 7 Tributes paid to owner of 'world-class' Islington venue
- 8 E-fit appeal after teen partially blinded in Canonbury Road baton attack
- 9 Corporation Street fight: Boy, 15, stabbed in the face in the Cally
- 10 Man left partially blind after Islington robbery
“I am pleased that the jury found Smith and McGee guilty for the part they played in the conspiracy and Goldsmith and Tomlinson had no choice but to plead guilty due to the overwhelming evidence put before the court. I hope that today’s conviction serves as a warning to those who insist on carrying out this type of crime.”