Gang of four jailed for 34 years following “audacious” attack on bank security guard
- Credit: Archant
A Holloway gang viciously attacked a HSBC security guard who was delivering cash to a bank on Baker Street in October last year
Edward Smith, Kevin McGee, Rocky Goldsmith and Joe Tomlinson, all of Holloway, were jailed after being found guilty of conspiracy to rob for a total of 34 years at Blackfriars Crown Court on Friday June 12.
Detectives working under Operation Morguld foiled the plot to rob the bank when they observed Smith, 32, of Staveley Close, sizing up the bank and the surrounding area, before arresting him.
Tomlinson, 30, of Rydston Close, had been hiding in a nearby phone box before attacking the HSBC guard and snatching the cash box. He was apprehended by police when trying to make his escape on a motorbike driven by Goldsmith.
Realising that the robbery plot had failed, Goldsmith, 36, of Fleece Walk, sped off from the scene at speeds of 80mph and was later apprehended by detectives at a residential address followed by the arrest of McGee, 32, of Shearling Way, who had been the driver of an accomplice white van seen in the area prior to the incident.
You may also want to watch:
Detective Sergeant Alan Stimson said: “This was an audacious robbery concocted by four individuals who gave no thought to their victim.
“Tomlinson subjected the security custodian to such a vicious attack that he stood little chance in defending himself.
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 3 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 4 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 5 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
- 6 Almost 5,000 Islington people pinged by Covid app in one week
- 7 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 8 New pub opens in place of The Monarch in Chalk Farm Road
- 9 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 10 Two men jailed for life after double murder
“I am pleased that the jury found Smith and McGee guilty for the part they played in the conspiracy and Goldsmith and Tomlinson had no choice but to plead guilty due to the overwhelming evidence put before the court. I hope that today’s conviction serves as a warning to those who insist on carrying out this type of crime.”