Gang violence fears after Crouch Hill estate shooting
RESIDENTS have raised fears about gangs on an estate after a teenage boy was shot by a masked gunman.
The 18-year-old was shot in the back at Crouch Hall Court, Sparsholt Road, Crouch Hill, last Wednesday after being chased by two teenagers on bikes.
The victim is expected to make a full recovery but several people who live on the Hanley Estate where the shooting occurred have expressed concerns about teenagers causing trouble.
The incident comes weeks after police seized more than 18 dangerous weapons including knives, screwdrivers and hockey sticks from Crouch Hall Court.
A local shopkeeper said: “I’ve been hearing stuff for weeks now about this vigilante group who come round wearing masks, knocking on doors and asking about the young guys who live around here.”
You may also want to watch:
A resident who lives in Hanley Road said: “We saw two guys speeding off on bikes and one of them was carrying this big long thing.
“I don’t know if it was a gun or what. There were helicopters and police everywhere, and people were coming out in their dressing gowns to see what had happened.”
- 1 Residents' 'frustration' as Royal Mail works to deliver in lockdown
- 2 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 3 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 4 Teaching mentor comes 'full circle' working at Islington school
- 5 Highbury woman launches pen pal initiative to fight lockdown loneliness
- 6 Thames Water faces councillors’ anger over billing changes for tenants
- 7 Islington charity choir smashes fundraising target with help from Brian Eno
- 8 Islington writers among the winners of 2021 awards
- 9 Council tax set to rise amid 'hand-to-mouth' Covid-19 government funding
- 10 Islington dancer recounts apartheid struggles in new book
Police say the victim was with a boy, also aged 18, when they were approached by two suspects on mountain bikes who
are black, aged between 17 to`18 and wearing dark clothing with their faces covered.
One of the suspects fired a shotgun and they both fled the scene. The victim was taken by London Ambulance Service to an east London hospital and is due to be discharged in the next few days.
Anyone with information should contact the Trident shootings team on 020 8217 7377 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.