‘Get a grip on Fox News’ Islington MP Emily Thornberry tells Rupert Murdoch
- Credit: Archant
Media tycoon Rupert Murdoch has been told to “get a grip” on his Fox News channel by Islington South and Finsbury MP Emily Thornberry.
The Sky TV supremo recently claimed the entire Muslim religion “must be held responsible” for not stamping out violent Islamist extremism.
Just a few days ealier, his American Fox News channel aired an interview in which a terrorism ‘expert’ claimed Birmingham was a no-go area for non-Muslims, and London had a Muslim police force who attacked people not dressing in Islamic attire.
Following a House of Commons statement from Home Secretary Theresa May on the Paris attacks, Ms Thornberry said: “I’m sure that the whole House is very pleased to hear you say that real Islam had absolutely nothing to do with these attacks in Paris.
“Would you therefore like to take the opportunity of decrying the statement Rupert Murdoch made at the weekend when he said that all Muslims were to blame?
“And also to ask him to get a grip of Fox News and their so-called terrorist experts who sat around insulting Birmingham, London, and everywhere else with their silly comments?”
You may also want to watch:
Mrs May replied: “I agree with you that it is important that we do reiterate the message that this is not about Islam, it is about a perversion of Islam, and that there are Muslims in this country and other countries around the world who condemn these acts of violence and acts of terrorism.
“Their voices are being heard I think in increasing numbers.
- 1 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 2 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 3 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 4 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 5 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 6 Police investigation criticised as officer who knelt on suspect is let off
- 7 Jungle Cruise (12A)
- 8 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 9 Heartbreak for Team GB as Australia end Olympic dream
- 10 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?
“And as I said earlier they are sending a very clear message that this is not in their name.
“I also say to you that freedom of the press means freedom of the press.