Hard-hitting domestic violence campaign launched by Islington Council
- Credit: Archant
A hard-hitting poster campaign has been launched to tackle Islington’s high levels of domestic violence.
The powerful advert shows an unconscious woman sprawled on the floor beside a shattered beer bottle while football plays on the TV.
The legend reads: “Did your team lose? Domestic violence. There is no excuse”.
In January, the Gazette reported the extent of the borough’s domestic violence problem, with almost 4,000 reported cases last year – costing the borough an estimated £26million.
The figure includes one murder and represents half of all violent crime against woman.
You may also want to watch:
The new poster will go on display in pubs, GP surgeries, and hospitals.
Research suggests there may be a link between watching sports and domestic violence, especially if people have been drinking heavily.
- 1 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 2 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 3 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 4 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 5 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 6 Callum Chambers could be Arsenal's starting right-back
- 7 Summer in the city: 5 Things to do in Islington this weekend
- 8 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 9 Thunder and lightning could return to London on Monday
- 10 Statue to street cat Bob unveiled in Islington Green
Alva Bailey, Islington Council’s head of community safety, said: “There is no excuse for domestic violence, or any violence against women and girls.
“This new campaign has a powerful image to grab people’s attention, and is part of our ongoing work to tackle domestic violence of all kinds.”
Anyone worried about domestic violence can contact Respect (for people who commit domestic violence) on 0808 802 4040 or the domestic violence helpline on 0808 2000 247.