Hard-hitting domestic violence campaign launched by Islington Council
- Credit: Archant
A hard-hitting poster campaign has been launched to tackle Islington’s high levels of domestic violence.
The powerful advert shows an unconscious woman sprawled on the floor beside a shattered beer bottle while football plays on the TV.
The legend reads: “Did your team lose? Domestic violence. There is no excuse”.
In January, the Gazette reported the extent of the borough’s domestic violence problem, with almost 4,000 reported cases last year – costing the borough an estimated £26million.
The figure includes one murder and represents half of all violent crime against woman.
The new poster will go on display in pubs, GP surgeries, and hospitals.
Research suggests there may be a link between watching sports and domestic violence, especially if people have been drinking heavily.
- 1 Scandinavian primary school moves to bigger premises in Highbury
- 2 New Covid-19 vaccine centre opens on Holloway Road
- 3 Covid-19: How Islington's current figures compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 4 Family of missing Islington man make urgent appeal for information
- 5 Islington pub Alpaca wins lockdown service award
- 6 Meet the Islington-based Rangers fans who are helping food banks
- 7 Not just for Christmas: Rescue dogs looking for forever homes
- 8 What are the chances of a white Christmas in London?
- 9 Warnings of ice across London amid plummeting temperatures
- 10 Planned travel disruptions in east and central north London this week
Alva Bailey, Islington Council’s head of community safety, said: “There is no excuse for domestic violence, or any violence against women and girls.
“This new campaign has a powerful image to grab people’s attention, and is part of our ongoing work to tackle domestic violence of all kinds.”
Anyone worried about domestic violence can contact Respect (for people who commit domestic violence) on 0808 802 4040 or the domestic violence helpline on 0808 2000 247.