Highbury attempted rape: Suspect pictured at Drayton Park station
- Credit: Archant
Detectives investigating the attempted rape of a 13-year old schoolgirl in Highbury have this morning released a CCTV image of a male suspect.
The image is captured at Drayton Park station before the young victim was attacked at about 8.20am on Wednesday, June 8.
A man approached the girl and placed his hand over her mouth. He forced her into Coach House Lane where he assaulted her, before a member of the public interrupted and confronted him, causing him to flee.
The suspect then took a biccycle from a teenage boy. He rode it a short distance along Highbury Hill before abandoning the bike and making off on foot.
Police attended the scene and conducted a search, however neither the suspect nor the teenage witness could be found. Despite numerous enquires neither the suspect nor the teenager on the bike have been identified.
You may also want to watch:
Det Cons Ben Lucas, of the sexual offences, exploitation and child abuse command, said: “I would again like to thank all the witnesses who have come forward so far and helped progress the investigation.
“We remain dedicated to identifying and arresting the suspect in the crime that has left a 13-year old girl and her family traumatised.
- 1 Letter: 'Highbury roundabout is unsafe and unhealthy for pedestrians'
- 2 Former election candidate convicted of having a knife in public
- 3 Green Lanes gang members guilty of killing which sparked tit-for-tat shooting
- 4 Jailed: Man who nearly killed woman in ‘random’ Islington attack
- 5 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 8 Jeremy Corbyn on the fuel poverty crisis
- 9 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 10 Tree wardens to be recruited on every Islington estate 'to advocate for trees'
“I am very keen to identify the man in the CCTV still and urge the public to look carefully at the image and the previously released E-fit, and call the police as soon as possible if they recognise him.”
The suspect is described as a white man, about 6ft tall and of muscular build. He had black and grey hair.
Anyone with information about the suspect or the teenager on the bike is urged to call 101 or to remain anonymous, call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.