Highbury attempted rape: Suspect pictured at Drayton Park station
- Credit: Archant
Detectives investigating the attempted rape of a 13-year old schoolgirl in Highbury have this morning released a CCTV image of a male suspect.
The image is captured at Drayton Park station before the young victim was attacked at about 8.20am on Wednesday, June 8.
A man approached the girl and placed his hand over her mouth. He forced her into Coach House Lane where he assaulted her, before a member of the public interrupted and confronted him, causing him to flee.
The suspect then took a biccycle from a teenage boy. He rode it a short distance along Highbury Hill before abandoning the bike and making off on foot.
Police attended the scene and conducted a search, however neither the suspect nor the teenage witness could be found. Despite numerous enquires neither the suspect nor the teenager on the bike have been identified.
You may also want to watch:
Det Cons Ben Lucas, of the sexual offences, exploitation and child abuse command, said: “I would again like to thank all the witnesses who have come forward so far and helped progress the investigation.
“We remain dedicated to identifying and arresting the suspect in the crime that has left a 13-year old girl and her family traumatised.
- 1 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 2 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 3 Arsenal fan's search for every Highbury Stadium match since 1940s
- 4 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 5 Residents' 'frustration' as Royal Mail works to deliver in lockdown
- 6 Highbury woman launches pen pal initiative to fight lockdown loneliness
- 7 Teaching mentor comes 'full circle' working at Islington school
- 8 Thames Water faces councillors’ anger over billing changes for tenants
- 9 Two 17-year-olds charged after alleged knifepoint robbery in Highgate
- 10 Islington's Holocaust Memorial Day 2021 event to go ahead online
“I am very keen to identify the man in the CCTV still and urge the public to look carefully at the image and the previously released E-fit, and call the police as soon as possible if they recognise him.”
The suspect is described as a white man, about 6ft tall and of muscular build. He had black and grey hair.
Anyone with information about the suspect or the teenager on the bike is urged to call 101 or to remain anonymous, call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.