Highbury attempted rape: Suspect pictured at Drayton Park station
- Credit: Archant
Detectives investigating the attempted rape of a 13-year old schoolgirl in Highbury have this morning released a CCTV image of a male suspect.
The image is captured at Drayton Park station before the young victim was attacked at about 8.20am on Wednesday, June 8.
A man approached the girl and placed his hand over her mouth. He forced her into Coach House Lane where he assaulted her, before a member of the public interrupted and confronted him, causing him to flee.
The suspect then took a biccycle from a teenage boy. He rode it a short distance along Highbury Hill before abandoning the bike and making off on foot.
Police attended the scene and conducted a search, however neither the suspect nor the teenage witness could be found. Despite numerous enquires neither the suspect nor the teenager on the bike have been identified.
Det Cons Ben Lucas, of the sexual offences, exploitation and child abuse command, said: “I would again like to thank all the witnesses who have come forward so far and helped progress the investigation.
“We remain dedicated to identifying and arresting the suspect in the crime that has left a 13-year old girl and her family traumatised.
- 1 40 firefighters called to scene as Highbury flat damaged
- 2 'Wrong place, wrong time': Men convicted after fatal mistaken revenge shooting
- 3 New community mural painted by residents unveiled in Stoke Newington
- 4 Jailed: Members of 'sophisticated' drugs crime gang sentenced
- 5 Call for fuel payment machines in Hackney and Islington
- 6 'Staffing crisis' means children's hospice cannot offer end of life care
- 7 Covid-19: Hospital admissions and bed occupancy continue to fall
- 8 Stoke Newington: Pret 'sorry' after staff tell indy café 'we'll steal your customers'
- 9 Pirates: Reggie Yates film shot in Angel gets release
- 10 How the proposed energy price cap changes could affect your bills
“I am very keen to identify the man in the CCTV still and urge the public to look carefully at the image and the previously released E-fit, and call the police as soon as possible if they recognise him.”
The suspect is described as a white man, about 6ft tall and of muscular build. He had black and grey hair.
Anyone with information about the suspect or the teenager on the bike is urged to call 101 or to remain anonymous, call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.