Highbury shooting leaves man, 19, in hospital – hours after 16-year-old boy is shot near the Cally and days after gun fired at men in Holloway
- Credit: Archant
A teenager is in hospital with gunshot wounds following a shooting in Highbury on Wednesday night – the second in 24 hours and Islington’s third in four days.
The man, 19, was found in Corsica Street after a fight broke out in Highbury Crescent, by Highbury Fields. His condition is described as “stable”.
It came after police found a 16-year-old boy also suffering gunshot wounds in Muriel Street, just off the Cally, at 1.20am the same day.
He is at an east London hospital in a “stable” condition.
Wednesday’s shootings follow reports of a gun being fired at a group of men in Warlters Road, Holloway, at 1.30am on Sunday. No one has reported being injured in that attack and no arrests have been made.
You may also want to watch:
In response to the most recent incident, police upped stop and search powers across the entire borough for seven hours using a “section 60” order – meaning they had the right to search anyone without reasonable grounds. The order expired on Thursday morning.
Scotland Yard’s gangs unit is involved. No one has been arrested over either incident.
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 3 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 4 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 5 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
- 6 Almost 5,000 Islington people pinged by Covid app in one week
- 7 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 8 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 9 New pub opens in place of The Monarch in Chalk Farm Road
- 10 Two men jailed for life after double murder
“Police were called at approximately 10.20pm on Wednesday to reports of a fight and gunshots heard on Highbury Crescent, N5,” said a spokesperson.
“Officers, including firearms officers, attended.
“A 19-year-old man was found suffering from gunshot injuries nearby in Corsica Street. He was taken by the London Ambulance Service to an east London hospital where he remains in a stable condition. His injuries are not believed to be life-threatening.”