Highbury shooting leaves man, 19, in hospital – hours after 16-year-old boy is shot near the Cally and days after gun fired at men in Holloway
- Credit: Archant
A teenager is in hospital with gunshot wounds following a shooting in Highbury on Wednesday night – the second in 24 hours and Islington’s third in four days.
The man, 19, was found in Corsica Street after a fight broke out in Highbury Crescent, by Highbury Fields. His condition is described as “stable”.
It came after police found a 16-year-old boy also suffering gunshot wounds in Muriel Street, just off the Cally, at 1.20am the same day.
He is at an east London hospital in a “stable” condition.
Wednesday’s shootings follow reports of a gun being fired at a group of men in Warlters Road, Holloway, at 1.30am on Sunday. No one has reported being injured in that attack and no arrests have been made.
You may also want to watch:
In response to the most recent incident, police upped stop and search powers across the entire borough for seven hours using a “section 60” order – meaning they had the right to search anyone without reasonable grounds. The order expired on Thursday morning.
Scotland Yard’s gangs unit is involved. No one has been arrested over either incident.
- 1 State-of-the-art £4m facility in pipeline for Islington Boxing Club
- 2 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 3 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 4 Man arrested after police officer hit by car in Dartmouth Park
- 5 Highbury performer marks World Burlesque Day with free classes
- 6 Man wanted in connection with Kings Cross sex assault
- 7 Islington's by-election candidates confirmed
- 8 Holloway fire 'caused by unattended chip pan'
- 9 Newington Green's Meeting House to stream concert series for Mary Wollstonecraft's 262nd Birthday
- 10 Elthorne Pride community group's back-to-school initiative
“Police were called at approximately 10.20pm on Wednesday to reports of a fight and gunshots heard on Highbury Crescent, N5,” said a spokesperson.
“Officers, including firearms officers, attended.
“A 19-year-old man was found suffering from gunshot injuries nearby in Corsica Street. He was taken by the London Ambulance Service to an east London hospital where he remains in a stable condition. His injuries are not believed to be life-threatening.”