Highbury shooting leaves man, 19, in hospital – hours after 16-year-old boy is shot near the Cally and days after gun fired at men in Holloway
- Credit: Archant
A teenager is in hospital with gunshot wounds following a shooting in Highbury on Wednesday night – the second in 24 hours and Islington’s third in four days.
The man, 19, was found in Corsica Street after a fight broke out in Highbury Crescent, by Highbury Fields. His condition is described as “stable”.
It came after police found a 16-year-old boy also suffering gunshot wounds in Muriel Street, just off the Cally, at 1.20am the same day.
He is at an east London hospital in a “stable” condition.
Wednesday’s shootings follow reports of a gun being fired at a group of men in Warlters Road, Holloway, at 1.30am on Sunday. No one has reported being injured in that attack and no arrests have been made.
You may also want to watch:
In response to the most recent incident, police upped stop and search powers across the entire borough for seven hours using a “section 60” order – meaning they had the right to search anyone without reasonable grounds. The order expired on Thursday morning.
Scotland Yard’s gangs unit is involved. No one has been arrested over either incident.
- 1 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 2 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 3 Thames Water faces councillors’ anger over billing changes for tenants
- 4 Arsenal column: Granit Xhaka the stand out performer since Boxing Day but some of his senior professionals continue to disappoint
- 5 Police search for suspects after teen stabbed in the face in the Cally
- 6 Arsenal Women trio issue apology to team mates following Dubai trip
- 7 Letters: Environment and tenants' manifesto
- 8 Student on 'emotional' first day giving Covid jab to NHS workers
- 9 Council tax set to rise amid 'hand-to-mouth' Covid-19 government funding
- 10 Author inspired by Highbury for debut sci-fi novel about aliens
“Police were called at approximately 10.20pm on Wednesday to reports of a fight and gunshots heard on Highbury Crescent, N5,” said a spokesperson.
“Officers, including firearms officers, attended.
“A 19-year-old man was found suffering from gunshot injuries nearby in Corsica Street. He was taken by the London Ambulance Service to an east London hospital where he remains in a stable condition. His injuries are not believed to be life-threatening.”