Islington’s HMP Pentonville cracks down on contraband with ‘advanced’ x-ray scanner
- Credit: Archant
An Islington prison is cracking down on crime behind bars with a new x-ray scanner.
Using a £100 million funding package from the government, HMP Pentonville on Caledonian Road is one of a handful of prisons around the country to receive an “advanced” x-ray scanner to check inmates.
The machines, which were developed specifically for prisons, allow staff to “instantly see” if prisoners are smuggling in illegal items such as drugs, weapons and phones.
A statement released by the Ministry of Justice says the images produced “surpass anything else currently on the market”.
The technology has already helped officers find four pieces of contraband, including two mobile phones.
You may also want to watch:
Prisons and probation minister Lucy Frazer said: “This new technology at Pentonville is a vital part of our efforts to stem the flow of contraband into jails and allow officers to focus on rehabilitation.”
The £100m grant, which will also be used to buy metal-detection tools, phone-blocking technology and a new digital forensics facility, is part of a wider £2.75 billion governmental commitment to transform the prison estate.
- 1 Former election candidate convicted of having a knife in public
- 2 Letter: 'Highbury roundabout is unsafe and unhealthy for pedestrians'
- 3 Green Lanes gang members guilty of killing which sparked tit-for-tat shooting
- 4 Jailed: Man who nearly killed woman in ‘random’ Islington attack
- 5 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 8 Jeremy Corbyn on the fuel poverty crisis
- 9 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 10 Tree wardens to be recruited on every Islington estate 'to advocate for trees'
That includes £2.5 billion for 10,000 extra places in “modern” prisons and £156 million for maintenance.