Holloway hammer and taser gang jailed for 23 years

Corrie Moroney (left), Ellis Parkinson (centre) and Alan Fitzgerald

Corrie Moroney (left), Ellis Parkinson (centre) and Alan Fitzgerald - Credit: Archant

Thugs pounced on terrified victims and robbed them in posh Hamstead Garden Suburb

Three members of a hammer gang who terrorised the wealthy in a three-month campaign of violent muggings have been jailed for a total of 23 years.

Corrie Moroney, 23, of Wedmore Street, Upper Holloway, Alan Fitzgerald, 20, of Pollards Close, and Ellis Parkinson, 21, of Tollington Road, both Holloway, were seized from their homes in dawn raids and now face a long stretch in jail.

In many of the attacks the trio pounced on terrified victims in their own driveways and threatened then with hammers, a taser gun and knives.

They shattered their car windows before forcing them to hand over valuables such as designer watches, jewellery, cash and mobile phones worth thousands of pounds.

All 12 robberies took place around the swanky Hampstead Garden Suburb from March to June 2014.

Their shocking spree was finally brought to an end by officers from the Flying Squad who studied CCTV footage and pulled together witness reports to identify the three suspects and mounted a surveillance operation.

Most Read

Undercover police followed them after they ambushed a woman in St John’s Wood, stealing her watch and handbag, on June 20.

Parkinson was arrested at his home, while Fitzgerald and Moroney were held after officers followed them to Moroney’s address.

After searching the streets nearby officers found a black moped like the one used in the final attack.

In the scooter, police discovered correspondence belonging to the victim and a number plate that had been removed from the bike.

At the gangs homes, officers found clothing which linked them to the string of offences.

Moroney, who admitted being involved in all 12 raids, was sentenced to 10 years in prison plus an extra year for assault.

Parkinson was jailed for eight years after admitting his role in seven of the incidents and Fitzgerald was sentenced to four years in a young offender’s institute after admitting his part in the last of the robberies.

All men were sentenced at Blackfriars Crown Court on February 13.

Det Sgt Gail Lilley from the Serious and Organised Crime Command, said after the case: “I am very pleased with the sentencing and that three dangerous violent offenders have been caught who were terrorising residents.

“This enquiry has further highlighted the excellent working relations that exist between Flying Squad and local boroughs. This success would not have been possible without the determination and detective ability of all concerned. The sentencing sends a clear message to those involved in street robberies that they face a lengthy custodial sentence.”