Holloway man denies handling stolen memorial plaques
A man accused of taking nearly 400 memorial plaques stolen from graveyards to a London scrapyard denied handling stolen goods.
Marcin Falkiewicz, 33, of the Hilldrop Estate, Holloway is said to have delivered the brass tributes, including some dedicated to children and babies, in two laundry bags and a sports bag.
The Polish national is not charged with stealing the plaques, which were taken from cemeteries in Beckenham, Tonbridge and Malling, Putney Vale, and West Norwood.
Appearing in custody, Falkiewicz, who has lived in the UK for seven years, spoke only to confirm his identity and plead not guilty to the allegations during a hearing at Croydon Crown Court on Friday.
He allegedly took some 398 stolen memorials to DSM scrapyard in Thornton Heath, on April 12 this year.
You may also want to watch:
Prosecutors also allege the delivery included another “800 or so” fragments of other plaques that had been smashed.
Falkiewicz is now expected to stand trial alongside yard owner Joseph Collier of Woodhall Drive, Southwark, and employee Aidis Margis of Bungalow Road, Croydon, on February 4 next year. The pair stand accused of concealing criminal property.
- 1 Jailed: Man who nearly killed woman in ‘random’ Islington attack
- 2 Green Lanes gang members guilty of killing which sparked tit-for-tat shooting
- 3 Letter: 'Highbury roundabout is unsafe and unhealthy for pedestrians'
- 4 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 7 Jeremy Corbyn on the fuel poverty crisis
- 8 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 9 Tree wardens to be recruited on every Islington estate 'to advocate for trees'
- 10 'Exceptional' heroes granted Islington's highest award, the 'Freedom of the Borough'
Adjourning proceedings, Judge Ruth Downing said she would grant Falkiewicz bail if the identities of his parents, who have offered a �10,000 security, can be confirmed.
In the meantime, he has been remanded in custody.