Holloway Road arrest: Dozens of armed officers swoop on terror suspect, 19
- Credit: Archant
Police swarmed Holloway Road this afternoon as a 19-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of terror offences.
The road was closed between its junctions with Hornsey Road and Tollington Road, with dozens of officers and police vans patrolling the entire stretch. The man appeared to be detained near the junction with Jackson Road.
Armed officers used a Taser during the arrest at 12.20pm.
It happened just 200 yards from where Islington North MP and Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn was at a constituency event in Holloway Road’s Outpost shop.
Just before 1.15pm, two police vans and one unmarked police car then raced away from the scene into Liverpool Road. Holloway Road was re-opened soon after.
You may also want to watch:
The man was arrested after a “suspicious item” was found on a Tube train at North Greenwich yesterday. The item was “made safe” and is currently being examined.
He was arrested on suspicion of the commission, preparation and instigation of terrorism acts and is currently in custody.
- 1 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 2 Police search for suspects after teen stabbed in the face in the Cally
- 3 Council tax set to rise amid 'hand-to-mouth' Covid-19 government funding
- 4 Student on 'emotional' first day giving Covid jab to NHS workers
- 5 Call for tech donations to tackle digital divide in students
- 6 Man left partially blind after Islington robbery
- 7 E-fit appeal after teen partially blinded in Canonbury Road baton attack
- 8 Islington and Camden charity connects generations with winter project
- 9 Royal Mail 'working hard' but Islington residents report ongoing delays
- 10 Corporation Street fight: Boy, 15, stabbed in the face in the Cally
This page is being updated