Holloway Road arrest: Dozens of armed officers swoop on terror suspect, 19
- Credit: Archant
Police swarmed Holloway Road this afternoon as a 19-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of terror offences.
The road was closed between its junctions with Hornsey Road and Tollington Road, with dozens of officers and police vans patrolling the entire stretch. The man appeared to be detained near the junction with Jackson Road.
Armed officers used a Taser during the arrest at 12.20pm.
It happened just 200 yards from where Islington North MP and Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn was at a constituency event in Holloway Road’s Outpost shop.
Just before 1.15pm, two police vans and one unmarked police car then raced away from the scene into Liverpool Road. Holloway Road was re-opened soon after.
You may also want to watch:
The man was arrested after a “suspicious item” was found on a Tube train at North Greenwich yesterday. The item was “made safe” and is currently being examined.
He was arrested on suspicion of the commission, preparation and instigation of terrorism acts and is currently in custody.
- 1 Tributes paid to 'Gooner legend' who died of Covid 'caught at Euros final'
- 2 Appeal for information after boy, 15, stabbed in back
- 3 Upper Street coffee shop to start selling "quality" wine despite noise objections
- 4 Second man charged with murder of Taylor Cox in Islington
- 5 Dangerous driving complaints spur Holloway right-turn bans
- 6 Letters on Low Traffic Neighbourhoods
- 7 In pictures: Pond-dipping, singing and mindfulness at Gillespie Park fun day
- 8 Britannia Leisure Centre and the changing face of Shoreditch Park
- 9 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 10 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
This page is being updated