Holloway Road arrest: Dozens of armed officers swoop on terror suspect, 19
- Credit: Archant
Police swarmed Holloway Road this afternoon as a 19-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of terror offences.
The road was closed between its junctions with Hornsey Road and Tollington Road, with dozens of officers and police vans patrolling the entire stretch. The man appeared to be detained near the junction with Jackson Road.
Armed officers used a Taser during the arrest at 12.20pm.
It happened just 200 yards from where Islington North MP and Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn was at a constituency event in Holloway Road’s Outpost shop.
Just before 1.15pm, two police vans and one unmarked police car then raced away from the scene into Liverpool Road. Holloway Road was re-opened soon after.
You may also want to watch:
The man was arrested after a “suspicious item” was found on a Tube train at North Greenwich yesterday. The item was “made safe” and is currently being examined.
He was arrested on suspicion of the commission, preparation and instigation of terrorism acts and is currently in custody.
- 1 Arsenal Women on cloud nine after big FA Cup win
- 2 Could Islington become a holiday destination?
- 3 Reader letters: Islington's Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - for and against
- 4 New nightclub Glam to open in Shoreditch in June
- 5 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 6 Jailed: Former Islington police officer raped children's home teen
- 7 Dame Alice Owen pupils protest over racist language
- 8 Charity launches new campaign to eradicate food poverty in north London
- 9 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 10 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington
This page is being updated