Holloway Road bike thief caught out in police sting
- Credit: Archant
A thief who stole a bike locked to railings on Holloway road was caught red handed in a sting operation.
Tahir Khan, 31, of Richmond Avenue, N1, rode off on the bike on the afternoon of November 12, unaware of the fact that it had been planted by the Metropolitan Police that morning.
Police watched Khan take the bike, which had been fitted with a motion sensor and SmartWater traceable fluid on the handlebars, and stopped him on Kingsdown Road.
He was found in possession of a battery powered angle grinder, and taken to Islington police station where he was shown the evidence against him and admitted the offence.
Khan was given a six-month conditional discharge by Highbury Magistrates on Wednesday November 27 and ordered to pay a £35 fine and £15 victim surcharge.
DC David Campbell said “In the past month Islington has seen 80 thefts of pedal cycles in the Holloway corner area.
“We are making use of traceable liquid technology to track deployed bikes, phones, bags and cars across the borough.
- 1 'Our sandwiches were floating': Islington cafe owner counts cost of burst water mains flood
- 2 Plumber found guilty of road rage murder of Deliveroo driver
- 3 Teenager commuted from Highbury to Bristol for A Levels
- 4 A Level results live 2022: Islington schools as they come in
- 5 'Rest in peace child': Tributes paid to teenager stabbed to death
- 6 Guilty: Window cleaner 'crushed victim's heart' as he mowed down two men
- 7 Angel station closures on one in five days due to staff shortages
- 8 Finsbury Leisure Centre development: 'Something dystopian like Bladerunner'
- 9 Hundreds of novelty teapots on show in Upper Street
- 10 'Do not eat' - Lidl recalls product over bacteria fears
“If you are thinking of stealing anything left in Islington, think twice before you take it.”
Phil Cleary, chief executive of SmartWater said: “This is a fantastic result. This latest conviction reiterates a simple message to criminals operating in Islington – don’t risk it.”