Holloway shop in court after selling knives to underage volunteer
- Credit: Archant
A shop which sold knives to an underage teen has been forced to pay out almost £3,000 in fines and costs.
A worker for Athal Ltd, which owned the A&T Discount Store in Seven Sisters Road, Holloway, was caught selling a pack of two knives to a 16-year-old police volunteer in February this year.
Islington Council’s Trading Standards worked with police on the operation and took the company to court after it was caught.
During the hearing at Highbury Magistrates’ Court on Thursday September 12, it was revealed the director of Athal Ltd had two previous convictions for similar offences.
The company pleaded guilty and the director was fined £645 and hit with £1,928.99 costs and a £64 victim surcharge.
You may also want to watch:
The assistant who sold the knives also pleaded guilty and was fined £65, with £200 costs and a £20 victim surcharge.
A&T Discount Store is now under new ownership.
- 1 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 2 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 3 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 4 Letters on low traffic neighbourhoods
- 5 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 6 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?
- 7 'No further action' after officer knelt on neck of Black suspect in Finsbury Park
- 8 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 9 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 10 Two men jailed for life after double murder
Cllr Paul Convery, member for community safety, said: “It’s unbelievable some shops are still selling knives to young people without proper checks.
“Selling knives to under-18s is illegal, and also irresponsible. Knives in the wrong hands can lead to tragedy.
“Our Trading Standards team can give free advice on how to stay within the law, but we will take action against businesses and shop owners who don’t get the message.”
Any businesses that need advice and help in understanding the law surrounding the sale of knives can visit www.islington.gov.uk/tradingstandards or call the team on 020 7527 3198.