Holloway supermarket ram-raided in attempt to steal cash machine
A supermarket was ram-raided in a failed attempt to steal a cash machine this morning.
Three would-be burglars rammed a car into the Morrisons entrance in Hertslet Road, Holloway, and dislodged a stand-alone ATM that was bolted to the ground.
They were attempting to lift the cash-filled machine when the store’s night team spotted them at about 5am this morning (Monday December 31).
A staff member who viewed the CCTV said: “These three guys drove up in a BMW X5. First they used a crowbar to open the doors to the mall, where the cash machine is.
“They tried to use the crowbar to lift the machine out but couldn’t do it, so they got back in the car and drove through the doors instead. Then they rammed the cash machine with the car and dislodged it.
You may also want to watch:
“They made a hell of a lot of noise and the night crew was inside. They were trying to lift the machine, but when they saw they’d been spotted, they got back in the car and drove off.
“They didn’t get away with anything, they just caused damage to the property and inconvenience.”
- 1 State-of-the-art £4m facility in pipeline for Islington Boxing Club
- 2 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 3 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 4 Stan Kroenke and the European Super League have killed Arsenal FC
- 5 Man arrested after police officer hit by car in Dartmouth Park
- 6 Highbury performer marks World Burlesque Day with free classes
- 7 ESL 'the death of what football should be about', say Arsenal fans
- 8 Man wanted in connection with Kings Cross sex assault
- 9 Islington's by-election candidates confirmed
- 10 Chamber music and arts festival scheduled for Islington this summer
A spokesman for Islington Police said: “Several suspects are believed to have forced entry into the premises and attempted to take the ATM machine inside the location, but were unsuccessful.
“They then left the store and got into a car which was then used to drive into the window in a further attempt to access the ATM machine. They were unsuccessful and made off towards Tollington Road.”
Anyone with information should call police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.