Holloway supermarket ram-raided in attempt to steal cash machine
A supermarket was ram-raided in a failed attempt to steal a cash machine this morning.
Three would-be burglars rammed a car into the Morrisons entrance in Hertslet Road, Holloway, and dislodged a stand-alone ATM that was bolted to the ground.
They were attempting to lift the cash-filled machine when the store’s night team spotted them at about 5am this morning (Monday December 31).
A staff member who viewed the CCTV said: “These three guys drove up in a BMW X5. First they used a crowbar to open the doors to the mall, where the cash machine is.
“They tried to use the crowbar to lift the machine out but couldn’t do it, so they got back in the car and drove through the doors instead. Then they rammed the cash machine with the car and dislodged it.
“They made a hell of a lot of noise and the night crew was inside. They were trying to lift the machine, but when they saw they’d been spotted, they got back in the car and drove off.
“They didn’t get away with anything, they just caused damage to the property and inconvenience.”
- 1 Archway teacher on trial for 'encouraging terrorism'
- 2 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 3 Replacement Finsbury Park leisure centre a step closer
- 4 'Government should rethink their plans': Masks still required on TfL
- 5 Screen on the Green: Dive into 1940s America this weekend
- 6 More than 18,000 Covid breach fines issued by Met during lockdowns
- 7 Deadline extended for Islington's greener futures fund
- 8 Former Met cop faces trial with seven others over alleged bribery plot
- 9 Five arrested for drugs offences after dawn raids
- 10 'Graffiti vandal' linked with £500k worth of damage caught in Highbury
A spokesman for Islington Police said: “Several suspects are believed to have forced entry into the premises and attempted to take the ATM machine inside the location, but were unsuccessful.
“They then left the store and got into a car which was then used to drive into the window in a further attempt to access the ATM machine. They were unsuccessful and made off towards Tollington Road.”
Anyone with information should call police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.