Holloway supermarket ram-raided in attempt to steal cash machine
A supermarket was ram-raided in a failed attempt to steal a cash machine this morning.
Three would-be burglars rammed a car into the Morrisons entrance in Hertslet Road, Holloway, and dislodged a stand-alone ATM that was bolted to the ground.
They were attempting to lift the cash-filled machine when the store’s night team spotted them at about 5am this morning (Monday December 31).
A staff member who viewed the CCTV said: “These three guys drove up in a BMW X5. First they used a crowbar to open the doors to the mall, where the cash machine is.
“They tried to use the crowbar to lift the machine out but couldn’t do it, so they got back in the car and drove through the doors instead. Then they rammed the cash machine with the car and dislodged it.
You may also want to watch:
“They made a hell of a lot of noise and the night crew was inside. They were trying to lift the machine, but when they saw they’d been spotted, they got back in the car and drove off.
“They didn’t get away with anything, they just caused damage to the property and inconvenience.”
- 1 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 2 Stunning photos show how King's Cross has changed in 20 years
- 3 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 4 'Unbelievably awful’ - North London MPs react to David Amess stabbing
- 5 TfL told to introduce 'pay per mile' charge to motorists
- 6 Jeremy Corbyn to hold ‘alternative Cop26’ in Scotland
- 7 'I’m not mad. I’m an MP': Claudia Webbe harassment trial continues
- 8 Helen Anderson: CCTV appeal to trace witnesses to Finsbury Park mum's murder
- 9 E-scooter rider suffers head injuries in Holloway Road crash
- 10 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington
A spokesman for Islington Police said: “Several suspects are believed to have forced entry into the premises and attempted to take the ATM machine inside the location, but were unsuccessful.
“They then left the store and got into a car which was then used to drive into the window in a further attempt to access the ATM machine. They were unsuccessful and made off towards Tollington Road.”
Anyone with information should call police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.