Homeless man is left paralysed by vicious Canonbury assault
- Credit: Archant
A homeless man has been left paralysed after a brutal and unprovoked attack in Canonbury.
Police are appealing for information and witnesses following the assault in Canonbury Road, near Essex Road Station, in which the 50-year-old victim was approached by a man who shouted at him before viciously punching him in the head, back and neck.
The suspect then fled by foot towards the crossroads with Essex Road following the incident on Wednesday, June 5 at around 1am.
Police understand that the victim suffered injuries which have left him paralysed from the neck down and he will need to be on a ventilator for the rest of his life, only being able to speak with the aid of a speaking valve. He remains in an east London hospital.
The suspect is described as a white male, of slim build, approximately 5ft 9ins tall with blond hair. He is thought to be aged between 60 and 65 years old and was wearing light blue jeans and a light blue denim jacket.
You may also want to watch:
Pc Simon Ardeman from Islington CID, which is investigating the assault, said: “This appears to be a vicious and unprovoked attack on a vulnerable man who will now need 24-hour care for the rest of his life. It is imperative that we apprehend the assailant a soon as possible and I appeal to anyone with any information to come forward and speak with police.
“If you were in the area at the time or witnessed the attack, please call us.”
- 1 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 2 Islington signs deal to secure homes for Afghan refugees
- 3 Stunning photos show how King's Cross has changed in 20 years
- 4 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 5 Helen Anderson: CCTV appeal to trace witnesses to Finsbury Park mum's murder
- 6 Jeremy Corbyn to hold ‘alternative Cop26’ in Scotland
- 7 Highbury church St Joan of Arc marks Covid-delayed centenary
- 8 ‘People hit the deck’ - Londoners stunned by fighter jet flyover
- 9 E-scooter rider suffers head injuries in Holloway Road crash
- 10 Essex Road Sainsbury's closed for deep cleaning after rats filmed crawling over croissants
Anyone with any information should contact detectives at Islington CID on 020 7421 0162 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.