Inquiry launched after escaped Pentonville prison Massey returned to jail
An inquiry is underway how a convicted murderer escaped from Pentonville prison following his return to prison last night.
John Massey was arrested at an address in Faversham, Kent, on Friday night after getting out of the jail using a makeshift rope two days earlier.
The police warned members of the public to call 999 and not approach John Massey who they labelled “potentially dangerous,” after he broke free last Wednesday night.
The 64-year old was sentenced to life imprisonment in 1976 for the murder of 36-year old bouncer Charlie Higgins with a sawn-off shotgun, after being thrown out ofa pub in Hackney.
He was also convicted of attempting to shoot a policeman dead after being chased in his Aston Martin getaway car.
You may also want to watch:
A second man aged 70 found there was also arrested on suspicion of aiding and abetting an absconder, and was also taken into police custody.
This is the third time Massey has broken out of jail, and although he was sentenced to a minimum of 20 years in custody, he has become one of the country’s longest serving prisoners because of his repeated escapes.
- 1 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 2 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 3 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 4 Police investigation criticised as officer who knelt on suspect is let off
- 5 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 6 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 7 Jungle Cruise (12A)
- 8 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 9 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 10 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?
In an embarrassing security blunder, he is believed to have used a rope strung together out of sheets to scale the walls of the Victorian prison in Islington.
A spokesman from the Ministry of Justice said an inquiry is underway.