Islington-based former Dragons’ Den star bailed in child sex hearing
- Credit: Archant
A former Dragons’ Den star from Islington appeared in court over child sex charges today.
Doug Richard, of Myddleton Square, off Mylne Street, is accused of three counts of sexual activity with a child and one of causing or inciting a child to engage in sexual activity.
The charges relate to a single complainant: a girl aged 13 at the time they are alleged to have taken place in January.
At a Westminster Magistrates’ Court hearing, 57-year-old Richard, wearing a white shirt with the top button undone, spoke only to confirm his name, date of birth and address.
He was released on unconditional bail to appear at the Old Bailey on October 19.
You may also want to watch:
Richard was described in court by both the prosecution and defence as being a man of good character.
The US-born businessman had denied the allegations in a short statement issued after the charges were confirmed last month, saying: “I absolutely deny the charges against me and will contest this matter in court.”
- 1 Tributes paid to 'Gooner legend' who died of Covid 'caught at Euros final'
- 2 Appeal for information after boy, 15, stabbed in back
- 3 Upper Street coffee shop to start selling "quality" wine despite noise objections
- 4 Second man charged with murder of Taylor Cox in Islington
- 5 Dangerous driving complaints spur Holloway right-turn bans
- 6 Letters on Low Traffic Neighbourhoods
- 7 In pictures: Pond-dipping, singing and mindfulness at Gillespie Park fun day
- 8 Britannia Leisure Centre and the changing face of Shoreditch Park
- 9 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 10 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
The millionaire appeared on Dragons’ Den in the first two series. He reportedly travelled with Prime Minister David Cameron on an official government trip to Africa and advised on policy.