Islington-based former Dragons’ Den star bailed in child sex hearing
- Credit: Archant
A former Dragons’ Den star from Islington appeared in court over child sex charges today.
Doug Richard, of Myddleton Square, off Mylne Street, is accused of three counts of sexual activity with a child and one of causing or inciting a child to engage in sexual activity.
The charges relate to a single complainant: a girl aged 13 at the time they are alleged to have taken place in January.
At a Westminster Magistrates’ Court hearing, 57-year-old Richard, wearing a white shirt with the top button undone, spoke only to confirm his name, date of birth and address.
He was released on unconditional bail to appear at the Old Bailey on October 19.
You may also want to watch:
Richard was described in court by both the prosecution and defence as being a man of good character.
The US-born businessman had denied the allegations in a short statement issued after the charges were confirmed last month, saying: “I absolutely deny the charges against me and will contest this matter in court.”
- 1 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 2 Police search for suspects after teen stabbed in the face in the Cally
- 3 Council tax set to rise amid 'hand-to-mouth' Covid-19 government funding
- 4 Student on 'emotional' first day giving Covid jab to NHS workers
- 5 Call for tech donations to tackle digital divide in students
- 6 Man left partially blind after Islington robbery
- 7 Royal Mail 'working hard' but Islington residents report ongoing delays
- 8 Islington and Camden charity connects generations with winter project
- 9 Hospital staff describe 'distressing' battle against rising Covid cases
- 10 Cricks Corner café remains after Islington Council rejects house conversion
The millionaire appeared on Dragons’ Den in the first two series. He reportedly travelled with Prime Minister David Cameron on an official government trip to Africa and advised on policy.