Islington-based former Dragons’ Den star bailed in child sex hearing
- Credit: Archant
A former Dragons’ Den star from Islington appeared in court over child sex charges today.
Doug Richard, of Myddleton Square, off Mylne Street, is accused of three counts of sexual activity with a child and one of causing or inciting a child to engage in sexual activity.
The charges relate to a single complainant: a girl aged 13 at the time they are alleged to have taken place in January.
At a Westminster Magistrates’ Court hearing, 57-year-old Richard, wearing a white shirt with the top button undone, spoke only to confirm his name, date of birth and address.
He was released on unconditional bail to appear at the Old Bailey on October 19.
Richard was described in court by both the prosecution and defence as being a man of good character.
The US-born businessman had denied the allegations in a short statement issued after the charges were confirmed last month, saying: “I absolutely deny the charges against me and will contest this matter in court.”
- 1 Siblings open community-oriented park coffee hut
- 2 Homes under the Planner: Schemes submitted or approved in Islington in June
- 3 Old Bailey: Pair enter pleas over Alex Smith murder
- 4 Karate champion helps children to build confidence through martial arts
- 5 Islington men charged after jewellery store robbery
- 6 New Aldi on Old Street to open this month
- 7 Man charged with 1974 murder of woman found in Highbury
- 8 CCTV: Woman sexually assaulted at Highbury & Islington station
- 9 'Barbecue-inspired' meat-free summer menu at cycling cafe
- 10 Husband granted right to use late wife's embryo for surrogacy
The millionaire appeared on Dragons’ Den in the first two series. He reportedly travelled with Prime Minister David Cameron on an official government trip to Africa and advised on policy.