Islington Boxing Club: Beware con artists ‘fundraising’ in our name
- Credit: Archant
Youngsters are scamming people out of cash all over London by claiming they are raising money for Islington Boxing Club.
The sports club in Hazelville Road, Archway, is urging people not to hand over their cash to the con artists, who have been doing the rounds over the last few weeks.
They have fleeced people as far away as the West End. Victims have called the club to say they were approached by children at the Royal Festival Hall and McDonald’s in Oxford Street.
Club manager Reggie Hagland said boxing clubs across London had been getting used in the scam for years and warned the public not to dip in to their pockets.
“This slip of paper was sent to the club in the post via a anonymous member of the public,” he said. “We have reported the incidents of youngsters falsely collecting under our club name in the West End area of London to the police at West End Central.
“The club would like to make it clear these are not members of Islington Boxing Club and we have never, and will never, collect money in this way off the streets.
“We would appreciate it if anyone who does come across these youngsters or see this happening could send across a photograph of them to help assist.”
- 1 'Wrong place, wrong time': Men convicted after fatal mistaken revenge shooting
- 2 Beloved father choked to death on cauliflower after Highgate Care Home 'neglect'
- 3 Cannabis sweets: the drugs danger that put 17 north London schoolgirls in hospital
- 4 Jailed: Members of 'sophisticated' drugs crime gang sentenced
- 5 Boy, 13, arrested after teenager stabbed in Canonbury
- 6 Stoke Newington: Pret 'sorry' after staff tell indy café 'we'll steal your customers'
- 7 Pirates: Reggie Yates film shot in Angel gets release
- 8 Islington shisha smuggler sentenced for £230,000 tax fraud
- 9 Jailed: 7 north London offenders put behind bars in April
- 10 Jailed: 'Brazen' cannabis sweet dealers sentenced
E-mail photographs to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Police have been alerted to the scam and are investigating.
A genuine fundraiser will, however, take place at The Boston Arms pub in Junction Road, Tufnell Park, on December 8.
Tickets for the Open Boxing Show are £15 and can be bought from events manager Mick Doherty on 07921 724 601, or by dropping into the club in Hazelville Road.