Islington Boxing Club: Beware con artists ‘fundraising’ in our name
- Credit: Archant
Youngsters are scamming people out of cash all over London by claiming they are raising money for Islington Boxing Club.
The sports club in Hazelville Road, Archway, is urging people not to hand over their cash to the con artists, who have been doing the rounds over the last few weeks.
They have fleeced people as far away as the West End. Victims have called the club to say they were approached by children at the Royal Festival Hall and McDonald’s in Oxford Street.
Club manager Reggie Hagland said boxing clubs across London had been getting used in the scam for years and warned the public not to dip in to their pockets.
“This slip of paper was sent to the club in the post via a anonymous member of the public,” he said. “We have reported the incidents of youngsters falsely collecting under our club name in the West End area of London to the police at West End Central.
You may also want to watch:
“The club would like to make it clear these are not members of Islington Boxing Club and we have never, and will never, collect money in this way off the streets.
“We would appreciate it if anyone who does come across these youngsters or see this happening could send across a photograph of them to help assist.”
- 1 Islington mum speaks out about blaze that wrecked her 17th storey Old Street flat
- 2 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 3 Islington Council urges: 'Raise repairs before Partners hands back homes'
- 4 State-of-the-art £4m facility in pipeline for Islington Boxing Club
- 5 Meet Islington's 2021 civic award winners
- 6 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 7 Man arrested after police officer hit by car in Dartmouth Park
- 8 Man wanted in connection with Kings Cross sex assault
- 9 Islington's by-election candidates confirmed
- 10 Highbury performer marks World Burlesque Day with free classes
E-mail photographs to email@example.com.
Police have been alerted to the scam and are investigating.
A genuine fundraiser will, however, take place at The Boston Arms pub in Junction Road, Tufnell Park, on December 8.
Tickets for the Open Boxing Show are £15 and can be bought from events manager Mick Doherty on 07921 724 601, or by dropping into the club in Hazelville Road.