Islington Council launches domestic abuse campaign
- Credit: Archant
Time to speak out and protect domestic violence victims
The loved ones of domestic abuse victims are being urged to seek help by a new town hall campaign.
Posters for Islington Council’s “Help a Friend” campaign will appear in bus stops, libraries, NHS buildings, council offices and other locations with the message “‘I know he hits her, but she wants to keep it quiet. Get help now”.
In 2012/13, police received more than 3,500 calls about domestic violence in Islington.
Nationally, two women a week are killed by a male partner or former partner.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Paul Convery, Islington Council’s executive member for community safety, said: “Domestic violence is a crime no different to any other violent crime.
“Family and friends often know what is going on, but don’t realise they can make all the difference between someone getting help or not. They can save the life of a loved one.
- 1 Islington's great beer gardens - reopening today
- 2 Can you help identify this man?
- 3 Shops, pubs and hairdressers reopen across Islington today
- 4 'Light at the end of the tunnel': Upper Street shoppers excited to end lockdown
- 5 Toxic air, Covid, Ramadan, rehoming cats and Islamophobia
- 6 Macmillan CEO thanks retiring Islington firefighter for £25,000 donation
- 7 Shannon Courtenay crowned WBA Bantamweight World Champion
- 8 Canonbury landlords defy pandemic to launch new pub
- 9 Bowie-inspired bar in Finsbury Park faces opposition
- 10 Islington mayor complains about ‘saturation’ of licenced venues in Archway
“We’re asking people to get in touch in complete confidence for help and advice about getting their friends or family, and their children, to safety.
“We can help women and girls to get away from abusers and start new lives, and we support the prosecution of offenders wherever possible.”
If you know someone who is being abused, you can help by calling the 24-hour domestic violence helpline on 0808 2000 247, run in partnership between Women’s Aid and Refuge, in complete confidence. In an emergency always dial 999.
For more details see islington.gov.uk/helpafriend