Islington couple accused of baby’s death were “loving parents”
A young couple accused of shaking their baby to death were “loving parents”, a court was told this week.
Jayden Wray died in July 2009 from head injury when he was four months old.
Rohan Wray, 22, and Chana Al-Alas, 19, of the Barnsbury Estate, Islington, deny murdering and causing or allowing his death.
The prosecution allege the couple, who were 16 and 19 at the time of his birth, were responsible for his death.
But Sally O’Neill, QC, defending Wray, told jurors the couple had taken the baby to hospital three times because of their concerns.
She said it was “nonsense” to suggest the couple did anything other than was expected of them.
Miss O’Neill said: “Jayden was indeed a much loved and cared for baby.
- 1 Islington's first Amazon Fresh store opens in Angel
- 2 Reality TV star's brother ‘wasn't involved in drug-trafficking’, murder trial hears
- 3 New nursery promises ‘outstanding childcare’ for Highbury
- 4 Weather warning issued ahead of expected gale force winds in London
- 5 New Covid-19 vaccine centre opens on Holloway Road
- 6 Meating climate commitments: are butchers on their way out?
- 7 Call to end Islamophobia in Islington at first awareness event
- 8 Festive events lined up for Islington this Christmas
- 9 Possible travel disruptions for central London this week
- 10 Man on trial for attempted murder of girlfriend was in drug-induced psychosis
“Their care for him was transparently that of loving parents, even though they were young.”
She said the couple had been “pre-judged” by doctors and police, but no one had known how ill Jayden, who was later found to have rickets, was.