Islington couple accused of baby’s death were “loving parents”
A young couple accused of shaking their baby to death were “loving parents”, a court was told this week.
Jayden Wray died in July 2009 from head injury when he was four months old.
Rohan Wray, 22, and Chana Al-Alas, 19, of the Barnsbury Estate, Islington, deny murdering and causing or allowing his death.
The prosecution allege the couple, who were 16 and 19 at the time of his birth, were responsible for his death.
But Sally O’Neill, QC, defending Wray, told jurors the couple had taken the baby to hospital three times because of their concerns.
She said it was “nonsense” to suggest the couple did anything other than was expected of them.
Miss O’Neill said: “Jayden was indeed a much loved and cared for baby.
- 1 New Aldi on Old Street to open this month
- 2 'Save Islington's buses': Call for action as sweeping cuts loom
- 3 Islington men charged after jewellery store robbery
- 4 Hit Brighton food hall operator to open Upper Street venue
- 5 Arsenal begin pre-season in strong position
- 6 Census 2021: What has changed in your borough since 2011?
- 7 Covid admissions on the rise at north London hospitals
- 8 Guilty: 4 teenagers admit 27 offences after series of 19 robberies
- 9 Old Bailey: Pair enter pleas over Alex Smith murder
- 10 Islington scammers jailed after preying on elderly victims
“Their care for him was transparently that of loving parents, even though they were young.”
She said the couple had been “pre-judged” by doctors and police, but no one had known how ill Jayden, who was later found to have rickets, was.