Islington couple accused of baby’s death were “loving parents”
A young couple accused of shaking their baby to death were “loving parents”, a court was told this week.
Jayden Wray died in July 2009 from head injury when he was four months old.
Rohan Wray, 22, and Chana Al-Alas, 19, of the Barnsbury Estate, Islington, deny murdering and causing or allowing his death.
The prosecution allege the couple, who were 16 and 19 at the time of his birth, were responsible for his death.
But Sally O’Neill, QC, defending Wray, told jurors the couple had taken the baby to hospital three times because of their concerns.
You may also want to watch:
She said it was “nonsense” to suggest the couple did anything other than was expected of them.
Miss O’Neill said: “Jayden was indeed a much loved and cared for baby.
- 1 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street forces Moorfields Eye Hospital to close
- 2 London Assembly election 2021: Meet the north east candidates
- 3 Islington reports lowest coronavirus infection rate in London
- 4 Islington's by-election candidates confirmed
- 5 Anti-LTN independent candidates deny creating new political party
- 6 Man, 70, charged with murder of Imani Allaway-Muir
- 7 Police appeal after moped rider left seriously injured in crash
- 8 Controversial plan to sell alcohol in Finsbury Park dropped
- 9 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 10 What's opening in Islington when Covid lockdown rules ease on May 17?
“Their care for him was transparently that of loving parents, even though they were young.”
She said the couple had been “pre-judged” by doctors and police, but no one had known how ill Jayden, who was later found to have rickets, was.