Islington couple accused of baby’s death were “loving parents”
A young couple accused of shaking their baby to death were “loving parents”, a court was told this week.
Jayden Wray died in July 2009 from head injury when he was four months old.
Rohan Wray, 22, and Chana Al-Alas, 19, of the Barnsbury Estate, Islington, deny murdering and causing or allowing his death.
The prosecution allege the couple, who were 16 and 19 at the time of his birth, were responsible for his death.
But Sally O’Neill, QC, defending Wray, told jurors the couple had taken the baby to hospital three times because of their concerns.
You may also want to watch:
She said it was “nonsense” to suggest the couple did anything other than was expected of them.
Miss O’Neill said: “Jayden was indeed a much loved and cared for baby.
- 1 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 2 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 3 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 4 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 5 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 6 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 7 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 8 Emirates to reopen for Covid jabs as council looks to entice residents
- 9 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 10 Two men jailed for life after double murder
“Their care for him was transparently that of loving parents, even though they were young.”
She said the couple had been “pre-judged” by doctors and police, but no one had known how ill Jayden, who was later found to have rickets, was.