Islington double murder trial begins
A drug dealer was gunned down after he threatened to put his killer’s grandmother in the boot of a car and held a knife to his girlfriend’s throat, a murder trial heard.
Jayson Hassan, 25, of Hoxton, was killed after subjecting his former drug “runner” Daniel Wilson to a “reign of terror”, the Old Bailey was told.
Wilson, 28, of Lichfield Road, Bow, his uncle Wayne Wilson and friend Rodney Morrison are standing trial for the murders of Hassan and Lee Wallace, 28, of Loughton, who were shot outside Strang House in Britannia Row, Islington, in the early hours of November 9 last year.
Prosecutor Crispin Aylett said the violence was “the terrible endgame in the falling out between two drug dealers”, former school friends Hassan and Daniel Wilson.
He said they were feuding because Wilson owed Hassan, for whom he sold cocaine, about �3,000 and had also angered him by disappearing for a few days when “Hassan wanted to put him to work out dealing drugs”.
You may also want to watch:
The jury was told Hassan sent Wilson increasingly aggressive text messages, threatening to “shank” him, to “f**k him up” and to stab his girlfriend Kerry Vennard.
- 1 Dangerous driving complaints spur Holloway right-turn bans
- 2 Covid-19 cases start to drop off in Islington
- 3 Emirates pop-up Covid-19 vaccine clinic opens for a second time
- 4 Escape in Islington this weekend: Lovely food and great new shows
- 5 Former Islington BC Slavisa Gegic fighter visits his old club
- 6 The situation in North London as Arsenal come up against Spurs
- 7 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 8 Arsenal start pre-season with win over Chelsea but dealt blow with Jordan Nobbs injury
- 9 More than 1,000 knives surrendered in Islington’s knife bins
- 10 Two new sixth forms planned for Islington and Hackney
Mr Aylett said Wilson believedhenchman Lee Wallace was going to stab Ms Vennard, adding: “In the minds of Kerry Vennard and Daniel and Wayne Wilson, Lee Wallace as well as Jayson Hassan was involved in these threats.”
Hassan eventually threatened Daniel Wilson’s grandmother and put a knife to his girlfriend’s throat at her home, the court heard.
“You can imagine Jayson Hassan’s reign of terror must have been at the forefront of everyone’s mind,” the prosecutor said.
Wilson is said to have recruited the help of his 42-year-old uncle, of Preston, and Morrison, 43, of Stratford, to carry out the killings.
The prosecutor said they drove to Britannia Row from east London before two gunmen picked off Hassan and Wallace as they left Strang House. The victims were visiting a friend there.
Wallace was killed instantly but Hassan died in hospital after being shot up to five times, including twice in the back of the head.
The prosecution said the gunmen were both white, according to the one eye-witness, suggesting Morrison, who is black, had been the driver.
The jury heard Hassan was killed with his own guns, which Daniel Wilson had hidden for him when they were still on good terms. The trial continues.