Islington has the two worst affected streets for moped crime in London
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
In news that will surprise no one, London’s two worst affected roads for moped crime are in... Islington.
According to Met Police figures between 2012 and 2017, Highgate Hill – from Archway station, past Whittington Hospital and up to Waterlow Park just outside the Islington border – had the most recorded incidents in the capital with 239.
Holloway Road was second in the list of shame, with 168 incidents.
The data, obtained by the BBC, also showed three cross-border Islington streets in the top 10. Green Lanes (on the border with Hackney, Haringey and Enfield) was fifth with 159 incidents, Clerkenwell Road (with Camden) was sixth with 155 and Charterhouse Buildings (with the City) was eighth with 127.
The embarrassment doesn’t stop there, though. Out of 654 London wards, Islington’s Bunhill had the highest number of moped crimes. There were 1,931 in the five-year period, with an amazing 1,055 in 2017 alone.
You may also want to watch:
The borough’s Clerkenwell ward was fifth, with 1,241 incidents: 716 being in 2017.
- 1 Residents' 'frustration' as Royal Mail works to deliver in lockdown
- 2 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 3 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 4 Teaching mentor comes 'full circle' working at Islington school
- 5 Highbury woman launches pen pal initiative to fight lockdown loneliness
- 6 Thames Water faces councillors’ anger over billing changes for tenants
- 7 Islington charity choir smashes fundraising target with help from Brian Eno
- 8 Islington writers among the winners of 2021 awards
- 9 Council tax set to rise amid 'hand-to-mouth' Covid-19 government funding
- 10 Islington dancer recounts apartheid struggles in new book