Islington has the two worst affected streets for moped crime in London
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
In news that will surprise no one, London’s two worst affected roads for moped crime are in... Islington.
According to Met Police figures between 2012 and 2017, Highgate Hill – from Archway station, past Whittington Hospital and up to Waterlow Park just outside the Islington border – had the most recorded incidents in the capital with 239.
Holloway Road was second in the list of shame, with 168 incidents.
The data, obtained by the BBC, also showed three cross-border Islington streets in the top 10. Green Lanes (on the border with Hackney, Haringey and Enfield) was fifth with 159 incidents, Clerkenwell Road (with Camden) was sixth with 155 and Charterhouse Buildings (with the City) was eighth with 127.
The embarrassment doesn’t stop there, though. Out of 654 London wards, Islington’s Bunhill had the highest number of moped crimes. There were 1,931 in the five-year period, with an amazing 1,055 in 2017 alone.
You may also want to watch:
The borough’s Clerkenwell ward was fifth, with 1,241 incidents: 716 being in 2017.
- 1 Dangerous driving complaints spur Holloway right-turn bans
- 2 Covid-19 cases start to drop off in Islington
- 3 Emirates pop-up Covid-19 vaccine clinic opens for a second time
- 4 Escape in Islington this weekend: Lovely food and great new shows
- 5 Former Islington BC Slavisa Gegic fighter visits his old club
- 6 The situation in North London as Arsenal come up against Spurs
- 7 Arsenal start pre-season with win over Chelsea but dealt blow with Jordan Nobbs injury
- 8 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 9 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 10 More than 1,000 knives surrendered in Islington’s knife bins