Islington has the two worst affected streets for moped crime in London
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
In news that will surprise no one, London’s two worst affected roads for moped crime are in... Islington.
According to Met Police figures between 2012 and 2017, Highgate Hill – from Archway station, past Whittington Hospital and up to Waterlow Park just outside the Islington border – had the most recorded incidents in the capital with 239.
Holloway Road was second in the list of shame, with 168 incidents.
The data, obtained by the BBC, also showed three cross-border Islington streets in the top 10. Green Lanes (on the border with Hackney, Haringey and Enfield) was fifth with 159 incidents, Clerkenwell Road (with Camden) was sixth with 155 and Charterhouse Buildings (with the City) was eighth with 127.
The embarrassment doesn’t stop there, though. Out of 654 London wards, Islington’s Bunhill had the highest number of moped crimes. There were 1,931 in the five-year period, with an amazing 1,055 in 2017 alone.
The borough’s Clerkenwell ward was fifth, with 1,241 incidents: 716 being in 2017.
- 1 Screen on the Green: Dive into 1940s America this weekend
- 2 Former Met cop faces trial with seven others over alleged bribery plot
- 3 Covid patient numbers levelling out after Christmas rise, data suggests
- 4 Islington: Cycle track could be back if funding found
- 5 'Graffiti vandal' linked with £500k worth of damage caught in Highbury
- 6 How mental health services are changing in north London
- 7 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 8 ‘The people of Edmonton will stop this incinerator’ - Protestors promise more action if plan is signed off
- 9 Five arrested for drugs offences after dawn raids
- 10 Knifeman was out on bail when he nearly killed father-of-three on school run