Islington jewellery shop raider is floored by angry shoppers
A hammer-wielding thief was floored by a group of shoppers who sat on him until police arrived.
Jimmy Stringer, of Maryland Walk, Islington, was chased and rugby tackled to the ground as he tried to escape with �330,000 worth of designer watches stolen in a jewellery shop raid last week.
The have-a-go heroes took it in turns to sit on the 23-year-old’s arms as he tried to struggle free from their clutches before police arrived at the scene outside Michael Jones’s Jewellers in Banbury, Oxfordshire.
Stringer was part of a gang which raided the shop, smashing display cabinets with hammers and setting off an anti-theft device which left smoke billowing from the store.
The shop has been targetted by thieves three times in the past five years.
Witness John Lucas, 68, was one of the first on the scene.
He said: “I heard people shouting ‘stop him, stop him.’
- 1 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 2 Blue Badge exemption and positive results for Canonbury East LTN
- 3 Five appear in court charged with drugs offences after dawn raids
- 4 'We've still not had Christmas cards': Royal Mail apologises as post backlog hits Islington
- 5 Knifeman was out on bail when he nearly killed father-of-three on school run
- 6 Holloway BHF pleads for volunteers to help it stay open
- 7 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 8 Ironmonger Row Baths have reopened for these activities
- 9 Archway teacher on trial for 'encouraging terrorism'
- 10 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
“There were half-a-dozen people chasing a man down the High Street, then one man rugby tackled him and took him to the ground.
“He was holding him down until the police arrived.”
Stringer appeared before Oxford Crown Court on Monday and admitted one count of robbery.
He was remanded in custody and told to expect a lengthy prison term when he is sentenced on November 9.
A bag containing some of the stolen items was recovered at the scene.
n See our dramatic video of the incident as it unfolded at www.islingtongazette.co.uk