Islington knife thug left victim needing 50 stitches in Newington Green attack
- Credit: Archant
A thug who slashed a man across the face with a knife in an unprovoked attack has been convicted of causing grievous bodily harm.
Anthony Kenny, 25, of Island Apartments, Islington, left his 20-year-old victim needing 50 stitches after he came up behind him, grabbed him around the heard and cut him from mouth to ear at a pub in Green Lanes, Newington Green on the evening of August 23.
It’s thought that Kenny, who has one ear and “stand alone” tattooed on his neck, attacked the man after he saw him talking to his ex-girlfriend.
Kenny, a regular in the bar who was identified immediately by officers, fled the scene and was the subject of a police hunt which lasted more than a month before he was arrested in the midlands on October 1.
Kenny pleaded guilty to GBH at Blackfriars Crown Court on Thursday and will be sentenced January 21.
DC Sophie Watson of Islington’s CID said: “This was a horrific, unprovoked attack on a young man who has been left scarred for life.
“My priority throughout the investigation was to support the victim and protect the wider public from a violent offender.
- 1 Reality TV star's brother ‘wasn't involved in drug-trafficking’, murder trial hears
- 2 Islington's first Amazon Fresh store opens in Angel
- 3 Strike action will hit Central and Victoria line Night Tube services this weekend
- 4 Festive events lined up for Islington this Christmas
- 5 New Covid-19 vaccine centre opens on Holloway Road
- 6 There With You This Winter: Mayor offers £51m of funding for fuel poverty
- 7 Poorer households in Islington could see council tax cut
- 8 Safety measure or danger? Two weeks to decide Liverpool Road cycleway fate
- 9 Call to end Islamophobia in Islington at first awareness event
- 10 Scandinavian primary school moves to bigger premises in Highbury
“I would like to thank the victim and his girlfriend for their courage and co-operation throughout this difficult time, which has ultimately ensured that Kenny was bought to justice.”
Emergency services were called immediately after the attack and the victim was treated at the scene for his injuries before being taken to hospital. He had sustained a large cut that had pierced his cheek.