Islington man arrested after failed smash and grab raid
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Images
An Islington man has been arrested after a failed smash and grab raid on a jewellers in a major shopping centre during the early hours of this morning.
Four men armed with axes and hammers were halted by armed police as they tried to rob the shop in the Westfield Shopping Centre in Stratford.
The gang were caught as they smashed the windows of the shop on the ground floor of the mall shortly after midnight.
A fifth man was waiting outside in a get away car and drove away, but police tracked him down to an address in Islington.
The Met Flying Squad and officers from the a specialist firearms unit carried out the arrests, but no shots were fired during the incident.
You may also want to watch:
All five remain in custody.
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 3 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 4 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 5 New pub opens in place of The Monarch in Chalk Farm Road
- 6 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 7 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 8 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
- 9 Two men jailed for life after double murder
- 10 Islington and Camden police chief to leave Met after 29 years