Islington man arrested after failed smash and grab raid
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Images
An Islington man has been arrested after a failed smash and grab raid on a jewellers in a major shopping centre during the early hours of this morning.
Four men armed with axes and hammers were halted by armed police as they tried to rob the shop in the Westfield Shopping Centre in Stratford.
The gang were caught as they smashed the windows of the shop on the ground floor of the mall shortly after midnight.
A fifth man was waiting outside in a get away car and drove away, but police tracked him down to an address in Islington.
The Met Flying Squad and officers from the a specialist firearms unit carried out the arrests, but no shots were fired during the incident.
You may also want to watch:
All five remain in custody.
- 1 Jeremy Corbyn on the fuel poverty crisis
- 2 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 3 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 4 Kentish Town teen creates football team to 'bring community together'
- 5 Islington eco-festival opens – but what about the Edmonton incinerator?
- 6 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 7 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 8 Club Curling comes to Coal Drops Yard in King’s Cross
- 9 'Exceptional' heroes granted Islington's highest award, the 'Freedom of the Borough'
- 10 Clerkenwell fire: Margery Street office block blaze under investigation