Islington man arrested after failed smash and grab raid
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Images
An Islington man has been arrested after a failed smash and grab raid on a jewellers in a major shopping centre during the early hours of this morning.
Four men armed with axes and hammers were halted by armed police as they tried to rob the shop in the Westfield Shopping Centre in Stratford.
The gang were caught as they smashed the windows of the shop on the ground floor of the mall shortly after midnight.
A fifth man was waiting outside in a get away car and drove away, but police tracked him down to an address in Islington.
The Met Flying Squad and officers from the a specialist firearms unit carried out the arrests, but no shots were fired during the incident.
You may also want to watch:
All five remain in custody.
- 1 'Good Samaritan' chased off random attacker who hit woman
- 2 Man wanted in connection with Kings Cross sex assault
- 3 Thornhill School's 'dream' library opens after parents' 'relentless' fundraising efforts
- 4 Islington's great beer gardens - reopening today
- 5 Campaigners debate future of Holloway Women's Building with Peabody Trust
- 6 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 7 Drugs and cash seized in multi-force police op
- 8 Bunhill by-election set to go-ahead following Claudia Webbe's resignation
- 9 Can you help identify this man?
- 10 Canonbury landlords defy pandemic to launch new pub