Islington man arrested after failed smash and grab raid
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Images
An Islington man has been arrested after a failed smash and grab raid on a jewellers in a major shopping centre during the early hours of this morning.
Four men armed with axes and hammers were halted by armed police as they tried to rob the shop in the Westfield Shopping Centre in Stratford.
The gang were caught as they smashed the windows of the shop on the ground floor of the mall shortly after midnight.
A fifth man was waiting outside in a get away car and drove away, but police tracked him down to an address in Islington.
The Met Flying Squad and officers from the a specialist firearms unit carried out the arrests, but no shots were fired during the incident.
You may also want to watch:
All five remain in custody.
- 1 Thousands back petition for exemptions in Highbury People Friendly Streets
- 2 Tributes paid to Islington student fatally stabbed in Tottenham
- 3 Two 16-year-olds charged with murder of Islington student
- 4 Number of Islington opiate addicts seeking help doubles during lockdown
- 5 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 6 Islington man sentenced for antisemitic graffiti in Stamford Hill
- 7 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 8 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 9 Countryside walking would be lovely - but the city has much to offer
- 10 Thames Water faces councillors’ anger over billing changes for tenants