Islington man Michael Seed to stand trial over Hatton Garden raid
- Credit: PA
Islington man Michael Seed, the final suspect in the Hatton Garden heist, will stand trial in September.
Seed, 57, of Liverpool Road, is said to be “Basil”, the mystery member of the gang which ransacked £14million of gold, cash and gems at the Hatton Garden Safe Deposit on the 2015 Easter weekend.
Seed, who was arrested in an early-morning raid on his flat last month, was meant to appear at Woolwich Crown Court yesterday. But he refused to leave Wandsworth Prison, where he is being held on remand. The court heard Seed fears for his safety if sent to Belmarsh, the high-security jail next to the Woolwich court.
He’s charged with conspiracy to burgle and conspiracy to conceal or disguise criminal property. Seed hasn’t yet made a plea but his lawyer, James Reilly, said he will deny the charges. A trial, expected to last three weeks, has been set for September 24.
Six other men have already been jailed for their roles in the raid, which was planned in Pentonville Road’s Castle pub.
You may also want to watch:
Additional reporting by Press Association
- 1 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 2 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 3 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 4 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 5 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 6 Callum Chambers could be Arsenal's starting right-back
- 7 Summer in the city: 5 Things to do in Islington this weekend
- 8 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 9 Thunder and lightning could return to London on Monday
- 10 Statue to street cat Bob unveiled in Islington Green