Islington massage parlour owner gets council caution
A woman has been cautioned for operating a sauna and massage parlour without a licence.
Pleasure Garden, in Caledonian Road, Islington, which has since closed, was charging punters �10 for using its facilities which included a large steam room, a sauna and three rooms containing mattresses.
But although it was providing special treatments, such as massages, it had no licence.
This was discovered when officers from the Metropolitan Police and Islington Council visited the premises and spoke to the 10 women who were present.
A 52-year-old woman from Romford, Essex, who was later identified as the owner of the business, admitted using or permitting premises to be used as an establishment for special treatments without a current licence in force, an offence under the London Local Authorities Act 1991.
You may also want to watch:
On October 22, she accepted a caution administered by the council. The business has since closed.
Cllr Paul Convery, Islington Council’s executive member for community safety, said: “Residents were pleased with this enforcement and we will further take action as needed to stop such businesses from operating in our communities.”
- 1 State-of-the-art £4m facility in pipeline for Islington Boxing Club
- 2 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 3 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 4 Stan Kroenke and the European Super League have killed Arsenal FC
- 5 Man arrested after police officer hit by car in Dartmouth Park
- 6 ESL 'the death of what football should be about', say Arsenal fans
- 7 Highbury performer marks World Burlesque Day with free classes
- 8 Chamber music and arts festival scheduled for Islington this summer
- 9 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 10 Islington's by-election candidates confirmed
To report anti-social behaviour in Islington, call the council’s anti-social behaviour team on 020 7527 7272 or go to www.islington.gov.uk/reportasb