Islington men charged in connection with supergran robbery
A FOURTH man from Islington has been charged this week in connection with a robbery that was foiled by a handbag-wielding grandmother.
Edward Smith, 28 of Staveley Close, Holloway, was arrested on March 31, eight weeks after the gang attempted the heist at a jewellers in Northampton.
He now joins Jason Hartles, of Peabody Square, Islington, Terry Ingles, of Arran Walk, Canonbury, Michael Sharpe of Rowstock Gardens, Holloway and Patrick O’Brien, of Northampton, who are all charged with conspiracy to commit robbery.
The crime hit international headlines after a video showed 70-year-old Ann Timson running up to six men as they attempted to smash the windows of the shop with sledgehammers.
Ms Timson began hitting the men with her handbag, causing them to flee the scene on motorbikes.
You may also want to watch:
The men are due to appear at Northampton Crown Court on April 15.
- 1 Tributes paid to Islington student fatally stabbed in Tottenham
- 2 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 3 Arsenal fan's search for every Highbury Stadium match since 1940s
- 4 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 5 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 6 Designated Covid care setting celebrates intervention on insurance issues
- 7 Highbury woman launches pen pal initiative to fight lockdown loneliness
- 8 Residents' 'frustration' as Royal Mail works to deliver in lockdown
- 9 Teaching mentor comes 'full circle' working at Islington school
- 10 Arsenal legend Nigel Winterburn relieved to see Mesut Ozil depart