Islington men charged in connection with supergran robbery
A FOURTH man from Islington has been charged this week in connection with a robbery that was foiled by a handbag-wielding grandmother.
Edward Smith, 28 of Staveley Close, Holloway, was arrested on March 31, eight weeks after the gang attempted the heist at a jewellers in Northampton.
He now joins Jason Hartles, of Peabody Square, Islington, Terry Ingles, of Arran Walk, Canonbury, Michael Sharpe of Rowstock Gardens, Holloway and Patrick O’Brien, of Northampton, who are all charged with conspiracy to commit robbery.
The crime hit international headlines after a video showed 70-year-old Ann Timson running up to six men as they attempted to smash the windows of the shop with sledgehammers.
Ms Timson began hitting the men with her handbag, causing them to flee the scene on motorbikes.
You may also want to watch:
The men are due to appear at Northampton Crown Court on April 15.
- 1 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 2 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
- 3 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 4 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 5 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 6 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 7 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
- 8 Home of the metre-long pizza opens in Finsbury Park
- 9 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 10 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey