Islington officer punched woman after urinating in street
�An Islington policeman has been suspended after he punched a woman who challenged him over urinating in a street.
Daniel O’Sullivan, 30, was found guilty of common assault by a jury at Southwark Crown Court last Thursday. He now faces a disciplinary hearing.
Off-duty O’Sullivan argued with Paula Elliot after he stopped to urinate in an alleyway near Leicester Square on November 19 2010. The court heard he poured his drink over Ms Elliot and punched her in the face. She suffered an injury which required nine stitches.
Judge Michael Gledhill QC, said: “You provoked the incident by urinating in a public place. It seems you have learned a lesson because you may have to be dismissed from the police.”
O’Sullivan, of Hinton Close, Whittlesey, near Peterborough, denied unlawful wounding and common assault. He was cleared of unlawful wounding by the jury. Judge Gledhill fined O’Sullivan �1,500 and ordered him to pay �500 compensation and �500 towards the costs of the case, as well as a �15 victim surcharge.
You may also want to watch:
O’Sullivan joined the Met Police in 2001 and worked in the community safety unit. Chief Supt Simon Corkill said: “This case demonstrates how officers are held to account for their actions both on and off duty.
“But Islington officers work tirelessly and this has been illustrated by their work over the summer in stopping disorder and bringing those involved to justice.
- 1 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 2 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 3 Police officer hospitalised after Dartmouth Park Hill hit-and-run
- 4 Holloway fire 'caused by unattended chip pan'
- 5 Man wanted in connection with Kings Cross sex assault
- 6 Housing, LTN, Living Wage, child exploitation and charity shops
- 7 Islington's by-election candidates confirmed
- 8 Walk with a map
- 9 Four teenagers deny murdering 17-year-old Anas Mezenner
- 10 'Good Samaritan' chased off random attacker who hit woman
O’Sullivan told the court that he ignored Ms Elliott at first but admitted throwing his drink at her.