Islington PCSO in pyjamas rescues woman from 10-man gang
A BRAVE off-duty Islington PCSO who risked her life to save a woman from a gang while in her pyjamas was commended for her courage on Monday.
Police Community Support Officer Nadia Shahumi jumped out of bed and raced to the woman’s aid after hearing her screams – in just flip flops and Snoopy pyjamas.
She found the woman struggling with two men and pushed them away. More gang members emerged from shadows and one pulled a knife and began waving it around, but she managed to pull the woman away to safety and eventually flagged down a passing police car.
PCSO Shahumi, of Islington’s Safer Transport Team, performed the heroic deed near her home in Borough, south London, in June last year. She said: “I was trying to go to sleep when I heard a lot of shouting and screaming. I was not really thinking about my own safety, I was just trying to get the woman away from them. When the knife came out, that’s when I thought we’ve really got to get out of here. I would not like to think what could have happened to her if I had not been there.”
After the attack two men were caught and arrested for assault and affray. The victim’s 11-year-old daughter had previously been attacked by the gang.
You may also want to watch:
PCSO Shahumi was among a group of more than 20 officers, volunteers and members of the public who were commended for their bravery and sterling work by Islington’s borough commander Chief Superintendent Mike Wise on Monday, at the Honourable Artillery Company headquarters in City Road, Finsbury.
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 3 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 4 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 5 New pub opens in place of The Monarch in Chalk Farm Road
- 6 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 7 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 8 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
- 9 Two men jailed for life after double murder
- 10 Islington and Camden police chief to leave Met after 29 years