Islington Police criticises Canonbury restaurant for ‘disregarding the law’
- Credit: Archant
Islington Police has objected to a late night licence being granted to a Lebanese restaurant in Canonbury, on account of its “disregard for the law”.
Palmera Oasis, in Essex Road, wants to extend its current licence beyond 11pm to serve takeaway food into the early hours.
But police said: “Despite not currently having a licence for late night refreshments, this venue has come to the notice of the police a number of times this year - all after 11pm, at which time the venue should have been closed.
“On June 13, police were called following an argument in the restaurant. A customer was arrested for possession of a knife having chased another customer out. On October 17, staff at the shop called saying a female was causing a disturbance and assaulting them.
“The current management has clearly shown a disregard for the law by opening beyond the hours that they should be. Such management is a concern for the police. Should they be granted a licence, would they even adhere to the conditions on it?”
You may also want to watch:
In its licensing application to Islington Council, Promile Trading, which runs Palmera Oasis, said: “Extending our opening hours will be a good potential for our business.”
It added that it will “pass info to the police” to prevent crime and disorder and “inform our customers to keep quiet in the premises and while they are leaving” to stop public nuisance.
- 1 Countryside walking would be lovely - but the city has much to offer
- 2 Arsenal's Women's Super League clash with West Ham postponed
- 3 Thousands back petition for exemptions in Highbury People Friendly Streets
- 4 Two 16-year-olds charged with murder of Islington student
- 5 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 6 Tributes paid to Islington student fatally stabbed in Tottenham
- 7 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 8 Covid and NHS, LTNs and trees versus housing
- 9 Number of Islington opiate addicts seeking help doubles during lockdown
- 10 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
Palmera Oasis wants to serve until 1am from Monday to Friday and 3am on Saturdays and Sundays.
Its application is scheduled to be heard at a council licensing meeting in the town hall on January 12.