Islington Police criticises Canonbury restaurant for ‘disregarding the law’
- Credit: Archant
Islington Police has objected to a late night licence being granted to a Lebanese restaurant in Canonbury, on account of its “disregard for the law”.
Palmera Oasis, in Essex Road, wants to extend its current licence beyond 11pm to serve takeaway food into the early hours.
But police said: “Despite not currently having a licence for late night refreshments, this venue has come to the notice of the police a number of times this year - all after 11pm, at which time the venue should have been closed.
“On June 13, police were called following an argument in the restaurant. A customer was arrested for possession of a knife having chased another customer out. On October 17, staff at the shop called saying a female was causing a disturbance and assaulting them.
“The current management has clearly shown a disregard for the law by opening beyond the hours that they should be. Such management is a concern for the police. Should they be granted a licence, would they even adhere to the conditions on it?”
You may also want to watch:
In its licensing application to Islington Council, Promile Trading, which runs Palmera Oasis, said: “Extending our opening hours will be a good potential for our business.”
It added that it will “pass info to the police” to prevent crime and disorder and “inform our customers to keep quiet in the premises and while they are leaving” to stop public nuisance.
- 1 Upper Street flat attack: Man, 58, stabbed in neck and back
- 2 Launch date for Gordon Ramsay's Upper Street burger chain
- 3 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 4 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 5 Finsbury Park sex assault: Man arrested on suspicion of rape
- 6 Police investigate alleged Finsbury Park rape
- 7 Survey: Where are the safest and most unsafe where you live?
- 8 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhood scheme
- 9 Letters: Fighting to keep Wray Crescent Park available to all
- 10 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
Palmera Oasis wants to serve until 1am from Monday to Friday and 3am on Saturdays and Sundays.
Its application is scheduled to be heard at a council licensing meeting in the town hall on January 12.