Islington second highest for moped crime this year
- Credit: Archant
Moped crooks are terrorising Islington more than any other London borough except Camden, new figures show.
Sadiq Khan has released statistics showing 3,587 crimes have taken place this year, almost all of which are thought to be phone snatches.
In June alone there were 626 incidents, that’s more than the total for the whole year in 27 of the 32 boroughs.
Camden has had 4,147 moped crimes this year, while Westminster is in third place with 2,305 and Hackney has had 1,891.
Two days ago a thief in a helmet walked into Bread and Bean cafe in Junction Road, Archway and stole a laptop before walking out and escaping on a moped.
You may also want to watch:
The brazen nature of the theft has led to calls for a major campaign to tackle the problem, particularly in Archway which is seen as a hotspot for the crime.
- 1 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 2 Islington signs deal to secure homes for Afghan refugees
- 3 Helen Anderson: CCTV appeal to trace witnesses to Finsbury Park mum's murder
- 4 Stunning photos show how King's Cross has changed in 20 years
- 5 Run Kids Run: Huge fun run raises £40,000 for Islington primary schools
- 6 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 7 Jeremy Corbyn to hold ‘alternative Cop26’ in Scotland
- 8 Highbury church St Joan of Arc marks Covid-delayed centenary
- 9 E-scooter rider suffers head injuries in Holloway Road crash
- 10 Essex Road Sainsbury's closed for deep cleaning after rats filmed crawling over croissants