Islington second highest for moped crime this year
- Credit: Archant
Moped crooks are terrorising Islington more than any other London borough except Camden, new figures show.
Sadiq Khan has released statistics showing 3,587 crimes have taken place this year, almost all of which are thought to be phone snatches.
In June alone there were 626 incidents, that’s more than the total for the whole year in 27 of the 32 boroughs.
Camden has had 4,147 moped crimes this year, while Westminster is in third place with 2,305 and Hackney has had 1,891.
Two days ago a thief in a helmet walked into Bread and Bean cafe in Junction Road, Archway and stole a laptop before walking out and escaping on a moped.
You may also want to watch:
The brazen nature of the theft has led to calls for a major campaign to tackle the problem, particularly in Archway which is seen as a hotspot for the crime.
- 1 Islington mum speaks out about blaze that wrecked her 17th storey Old Street flat
- 2 Meet Islington's 2021 civic award winners
- 3 Finsbury Park drugs misuse centre put into special measures
- 4 Islington Council urges: 'Raise repairs before Partners hands back homes'
- 5 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 6 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 7 State-of-the-art £4m facility in pipeline for Islington Boxing Club
- 8 Man arrested after police officer hit by car in Dartmouth Park
- 9 Man wanted in connection with Kings Cross sex assault
- 10 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill