Islington second highest for moped crime this year
- Credit: Archant
Moped crooks are terrorising Islington more than any other London borough except Camden, new figures show.
Sadiq Khan has released statistics showing 3,587 crimes have taken place this year, almost all of which are thought to be phone snatches.
In June alone there were 626 incidents, that’s more than the total for the whole year in 27 of the 32 boroughs.
Camden has had 4,147 moped crimes this year, while Westminster is in third place with 2,305 and Hackney has had 1,891.
Two days ago a thief in a helmet walked into Bread and Bean cafe in Junction Road, Archway and stole a laptop before walking out and escaping on a moped.
You may also want to watch:
The brazen nature of the theft has led to calls for a major campaign to tackle the problem, particularly in Archway which is seen as a hotspot for the crime.
- 1 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 2 Police search for suspects after teen stabbed in the face in the Cally
- 3 Council tax set to rise amid 'hand-to-mouth' Covid-19 government funding
- 4 Student on 'emotional' first day giving Covid jab to NHS workers
- 5 Call for tech donations to tackle digital divide in students
- 6 Man left partially blind after Islington robbery
- 7 Royal Mail 'working hard' but Islington residents report ongoing delays
- 8 Islington and Camden charity connects generations with winter project
- 9 Hospital staff describe 'distressing' battle against rising Covid cases
- 10 Cricks Corner café remains after Islington Council rejects house conversion