Islington second highest for moped crime this year
- Credit: Archant
Moped crooks are terrorising Islington more than any other London borough except Camden, new figures show.
Sadiq Khan has released statistics showing 3,587 crimes have taken place this year, almost all of which are thought to be phone snatches.
In June alone there were 626 incidents, that’s more than the total for the whole year in 27 of the 32 boroughs.
Camden has had 4,147 moped crimes this year, while Westminster is in third place with 2,305 and Hackney has had 1,891.
Two days ago a thief in a helmet walked into Bread and Bean cafe in Junction Road, Archway and stole a laptop before walking out and escaping on a moped.
You may also want to watch:
The brazen nature of the theft has led to calls for a major campaign to tackle the problem, particularly in Archway which is seen as a hotspot for the crime.
- 1 Jeremy Corbyn on the fuel poverty crisis
- 2 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 3 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 4 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 5 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 6 Kentish Town teen creates football team to 'bring community together'
- 7 Islington eco-festival opens – but what about the Edmonton incinerator?
- 8 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 9 Clerkenwell fire: Margery Street office block blaze under investigation
- 10 Meet Charrli - the Islington start-up facilitating zero-waste shopping