Islington second highest for moped crime this year
- Credit: Archant
Moped crooks are terrorising Islington more than any other London borough except Camden, new figures show.
Sadiq Khan has released statistics showing 3,587 crimes have taken place this year, almost all of which are thought to be phone snatches.
In June alone there were 626 incidents, that’s more than the total for the whole year in 27 of the 32 boroughs.
Camden has had 4,147 moped crimes this year, while Westminster is in third place with 2,305 and Hackney has had 1,891.
Two days ago a thief in a helmet walked into Bread and Bean cafe in Junction Road, Archway and stole a laptop before walking out and escaping on a moped.
You may also want to watch:
The brazen nature of the theft has led to calls for a major campaign to tackle the problem, particularly in Archway which is seen as a hotspot for the crime.
- 1 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 2 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 3 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 4 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 5 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 6 Police investigation criticised as officer who knelt on suspect is let off
- 7 Jungle Cruise (12A)
- 8 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?
- 9 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 10 Heartbreak for Team GB as Australia end Olympic dream