Killers were ‘screaming and laughing’ before stabbing Islington teen to death in Camden
- Credit: Archant
Police investigating the killing of an Islington teen in Camden on Monday night have confirmed he was chased by a “number of suspects” and stabbed “a number of times”.
The 16-year-old, named locally as Alex Smith, 16, was found with stab injuries in Munster Square, shortly after 11pm and pronounced dead at the scene.
His next of kin have been informed and a post-mortem will take place in due course.
Det Ch Insp Paul Healy, leading the investigation, said: "We believe the victim was chased around the square by a number of suspects prior to being stabbed a number of times.
"The suspects made off in a vehicle which was discovered burnt out nearby. Another vehicle believed to be involved in the incident was also found burnt out some distance away."
You may also want to watch:
One witness said from her bedroom window she had seen three men "screaming and laughing" as they pursued the victim, who she said could be heard banging on a family's front door appealing for help before he was stabbed.
She added: "He said 'help me, help me, help me'. He collapsed on the floor and then it was quiet."
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 4 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 5 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 6 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 7 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 8 Stop the Burn: Protest planned against Edmonton incinerator rebuild
- 9 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 10 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
Another resident, who also declined to be named, told this newspaper she had "been watching David Attenborough" and missed the stabbing. "I didn't even hear it," she said. "I was up late and only noticed what was going on after it had happened when the police came."
Another woman, a mother and grandmother who lives opposite the crime scene told the Gazette: "I came down to go the loo and just saw the blaring lights through my door. I think that was in the very early stages - there were only a couple of police officers there. It's scary, I've got a 15 year old living here. I didn't know him but they younger generation of the family were all aware of him."
Mr Smith is the second Islington teen to be stabbed to death this year, after Nedim Bilgin, 17, was fatally wounded in Caledonian Road on January 29.
Anyone with information can call police on 02083580400 and quote CAD8433/12Aug or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Did you know Alex? Contact the Gazette newsdesk on 0207 433 0121 or email email@example.com with tributes