Jail for teens who meted out savage Hoxton punishment beating
FOUR teenage thugs who bundled a 13-year-old boy into a car before dishing out a brutal punishment beating in a row over an airgun have been locked up for a total of 12 years.
Ryan Samuels and Lincon Olaribige, both 18, and Joseph Sokoya, 19, drove the schoolboy to a flat in Hoxton where they repeatedly punched and kicked him.
The trio battered him in the bathroom before Zane Hutton, 19, arrived and threatened to get a knife.
Samuels, of Crayford Road, Holloway, Olaribige, of Chadwin Road, Plaistow and Sokoya, of Wimbourne Court, off New North Road, Hoxton, then took the terrified teenager to a park where they attacked him again.
Earlier this month, in a separate incident, Hutton, of Murray Grove, Hoxton, sped at up to 110mph between Redbridge roundabout, near Ilford, and Poole Street, just yards home from his, in his grey Audi A3.
You may also want to watch:
Sentencing all four yobs to three years in young offenders’ institutions, Judge Martyn Zeidman QC said: “All of you have behaved in a cruel and outrageous manner towards a vulnerable victim - a 13-year-old child.
“It’s a form of bullying but that does not do it complete justice - it is more than bullying and it deserves a long custodial sentence.”
- 1 Islington's great beer gardens - reopening today
- 2 Can you help identify this man?
- 3 Shops, pubs and hairdressers reopen across Islington today
- 4 'Light at the end of the tunnel': Upper Street shoppers excited to end lockdown
- 5 Toxic air, Covid, Ramadan, rehoming cats and Islamophobia
- 6 Shannon Courtenay crowned WBA Bantamweight World Champion
- 7 Macmillan CEO thanks retiring Islington firefighter for £25,000 donation
- 8 Canonbury landlords defy pandemic to launch new pub
- 9 Bowie-inspired bar in Finsbury Park faces opposition
- 10 Islington mayor complains about ‘saturation’ of licenced venues in Archway
Hutton, who only took part in the first beating of the boy, was sentenced to two years and four months behind bars for the attack but given eight months extra for dangerous driving.
“Your driving had the potential to kill,” the judge told him.
The gang struck in Jeger Avenue, Hoxton, before driving the boy to a nearby flat, Snaresbrook Crown Court heard.
“This 13-year-old boy was coerced into a car,” said Judge Zeidman.
“He was taken down a side street and into a flat, then into a bathroom where he was beaten.
“This was done by the first defendant Ryan Samuels, the second defendant Mr Olaribige and the fourth defendant Mr Sokoya.
“The third defendant Mr Zane Hutton joined the group about 20 minutes or so later.
“When Mr Hutton did attend, the victim was then beaten by all four people.
“It was Zane Hutton who said: ‘Get a knife’, which would have had the additional side effect of frightening the boy even more.
“He was beaten for some time and then he was taken out of that flat.
“Mr Hutton was dropped off and the victim was then taken to a wooded area, most likely a park, where he was again beaten by the first, second and fourth defendants.”
The yobs targeted the boy, who cannot be named, after accusing him of lying about throwing an airgun into a canal.
The background is to do with a gun he had disposed of,” said the judge.
“You didn’t believe his explanation the he had thrown the gun away.”
Samuels, Olaribige, Sokoya and Hutton all admitted actual bodily harm.
Hutton alone admitted dangerous driving, driving without insurance, driving otherwise in accordance with a licence and failing to stop on February 10, 2011.