Jessop Court killing: Man, 32, in court charged with stab murder of Elidona Demiraj
- Credit: Archant
A man accused of murdering a woman by stabbing her in the throat in her Islington flat has appeared in court.
Arben Rexha, 32, was charged over the death on Sunday of Elidona Demiraj, 25, in Jessop Court.
Rexha, also of Jessop Court, appeared at the Old Bailey yesterday and was remanded in custody. He will be back at the same court on April 21 to enter a plea.
Neighbours on Monday told the Gazette how Albanian national Ms Demiraj had only recently moved in to the tower block.
Her next-door neighbour Tracy Baxter, 49, said: “She was locked out of the flat only on Saturday afternoon. We invited her in to ours for a coffee.”
Ms Demiraj was found with stab wounds late the following night. Medics battled to save her but she was pronounced dead at the scene.
Other neighbours spoke of hearing “loud screams” and “a thump”.
- 1 Hit Brighton food hall operator to open Upper Street venue
- 2 Islington men charged after jewellery store robbery
- 3 New Aldi on Old Street to open this month
- 4 Man charged after staff assault at Barking Asda
- 5 Old Bailey: Pair enter pleas over Alex Smith murder
- 6 Protest erupts at the North London Waste Authority re-election meeting
- 7 'Save Islington's buses': Call for action as sweeping cuts loom
- 8 Man charged with 1974 murder of woman found in Highbury
- 9 CCTV: Woman sexually assaulted at Highbury & Islington station
- 10 Guilty: 4 teenagers admit 27 offences after series of 19 robberies
Pick up this week’s Gazette for more on this story.