Lee Jay Hatley: Fundraiser nets £3k to pay for Canonbury stab victim’s funeral on Wednesday
- Credit: Archant
A pal of Jonathon “JJ” McPhillips has stepped up again to help the grieving family of Lee Jay Hatley.
Shane Yerrell raised £3280.70 for Lee Jay’s relatives after he was stabbed to death in Canonbury on June 26. The money will be used for his funeral, which takes place on Wednesday.
After JJ – a friend of 29-year-old Lee Jay – was killed in Upper Street in February, Shane held a similar fundraising campaign.
Shane, 33, of Waltham Abbey, Essex, runs a charity, Through the Fight, for people who have been victims of attacks or who become seriously ill.
He told the Gazette: “Michelle, JJ’s mum, rang me and said one of JJ’s friends had been killed, and that she’d like me to help again.
You may also want to watch:
“I didn’t know Lee Jay – I recognised his face from JJ’s funeral – but he was obviously very well liked, the same as JJ. There was a day when the donations really took off.
“It’s always the good people, those who aren’t looking for trouble, who are victims. And do you know what, Lee Jay’s family are such lovely people. They were so grateful for the money, and it’s great to help them.”
- 1 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 2 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 3 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 4 Letters on low traffic neighbourhoods
- 5 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 6 'No further action' after officer knelt on neck of Black suspect in Finsbury Park
- 7 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?
- 8 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 9 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 10 Finsbury Park to get its own Pokémon-GO style story
Lee Jay, a father-of-one, lived in Morland Mews, Barnsbury. He was stabbed to death in a flat in Westcliff House, in Baxter Road’s Dover Court Estate.
Bradley Wood, 24, of no fixed abode, has been charged with Lee Jay’s murder, and the attempted murder of a 22-year-old woman. He is set to appear before the Old Bailey on September 20.
But so far, no one has been charged with dad-of-two JJ’s murder, which happened outside the town hall in the early hours of February 25. Seven people have been arrested and released in connection with the killing.