Lights to go off across Islington as World War I commemorations begin
- Credit: IWM
The lights are set to go off across the borough as the centenary commemorations of World War I begin today.
Islington Council want people switch off their bulbs between 10 and 11pm, and put a candle in the window, in honour of the 9,000 people from the borough who lost their lives during the great war.
Earlier in the day a service will take place at the borough’s largest great war memorial, in Manor Gardens, Holloway, and will include a one minute silence at 11am, exactly 100 years from the date and time conflict began in 1914.
The Islington Veterans Association will join the Mayor of Islington Cllr Theresa Debono and faith organisations to pay their respects to the 16million people who died across the globe during the first world war.
Members of the public are welcome to come along.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Richard Watts, leader of Islington Council, said: “In the centenary year of the outbreak of the First World War, it’s never been more important to recognise the unique contribution of Islington’s armed forces personnel who fought for the freedoms we all enjoy today.
“To remember their sacrifice, on 4 August we’ll be turning the lights out in all our council buildings and encourage residents and businesses to do the same.”
- 1 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 2 Thames Water faces councillors’ anger over billing changes for tenants
- 3 Teaching mentor comes 'full circle' working at Islington school
- 4 Islington writers among the winners of 2021 awards
- 5 Arsenal column: Granit Xhaka the stand out performer since Boxing Day but some of his senior professionals continue to disappoint
- 6 Police search for suspects after teen stabbed in the face in the Cally
- 7 Islington charity choir smashes fundraising target with help from Brian Eno
- 8 Spot tiny art 'gems' along The Parkland Walk
- 9 E-fit appeal after teen partially blinded in Canonbury Road baton attack
- 10 Corporation Street fight: Boy, 15, stabbed in the face in the Cally
The memorial service will include a special war songs performance by the Islington Council Choir, including Keep the Homes Fires Burning and Pack up Your Troubles in Your Old Kit Bag, both popular in the trenches.
For more details visit www.islington.gov.uk/ww1centenary.