London 7/7 bombing survivor reunited with saviour at King’s Cross
- Credit: PA
A survivor of the 7/7 London terror attacks has had an emotional reunion with one of her saviours yesterday.
Gill Hicks, who lost both legs below the knee in the atrocity almost 10 years ago, broke down in tears as she hugged Pc Andrew Maxwell outside King’s Cross station in London.
Pc Maxwell was one of the Metropolitan Police officers who saved her life by using a makeshift stretcher to carry her out of a Tube tunnel so she could receive emergency medical treatment.
Ms Hicks had been on board the Piccadilly line train that Jermaine Lindsay, 19, devastatingly blew up between King’s Cross and Russell Square station.
Their impromptu reunion came as Ms Hicks helped to launch a walk by faith leaders promoting religious unity ahead of the anniversary of the attacks.
You may also want to watch:
After embracing in front of the cameras, the two friends met privately without talking to reporters.
Ms Hicks presented Pc Maxwell with a higher commendation for “extreme courage” in 2006.
- 1 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 2 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 3 Police officer hospitalised after Dartmouth Park Hill hit-and-run
- 4 Holloway fire 'caused by unattended chip pan'
- 5 Man wanted in connection with Kings Cross sex assault
- 6 Housing, LTN, Living Wage, child exploitation and charity shops
- 7 Walk with a map
- 8 Islington's by-election candidates confirmed
- 9 Four teenagers deny murdering 17-year-old Anas Mezenner
- 10 'Good Samaritan' chased off random attacker who hit woman
Speaking at the time, she said she had formed an “indescribable bond” with her rescuers.
She said: “I have since gone on a journey of discovery of all who were there at the scene so I can meet and thank them. I am pleased to say that the vital ones are now best friends.
“It’s wonderful, it is a bond that is almost indescribable. How do you say thank you to someone who saves your life?
“I hope we can say that we will be friends for life, I hope that is how it stays. It is just remarkable people have risked their lives in saving me.”