Love Island star appears in court on assault charge
- Credit: PA
Love Island presenter Caroline Flack has denied assaulting her boyfriend.
Flack, 40, who has stepped down as host of the upcoming winter series of the ITV2 dating show, is alleged to have hit Lewis Burton, 27, over the head with a lamp, causing a serious head injury.
Former professional tennis player and model Burton does not support the prosecution and insists he is not a victim, Highbury Corner Magistrates' Court was told.
Flack put her head in her hands as she was released on bail with conditions that stop her having any contact with Burton ahead of a trial on March 4.
Paul Morris, defending, said: "They had been in a relationship all of this year and he appears in court today to support her and they remain a couple."
You may also want to watch:
Flack was mobbed by photographers as she arrived at court on Monday morning wearing a black coat, scarf and boots before being escorted into the building by police.
Burton arrived at court separately from his girlfriend wearing a navy Parka-style jacket with a fur-lined hood, and watched proceedings from the packed public gallery.
- 1 Thousands back petition for exemptions in Highbury People Friendly Streets
- 2 Tributes paid to Islington student fatally stabbed in Tottenham
- 3 Two 16-year-olds charged with murder of Islington student
- 4 Islington man sentenced for antisemitic graffiti in Stamford Hill
- 5 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 6 Number of Islington opiate addicts seeking help doubles during lockdown
- 7 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 8 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 9 Thames Water faces councillors’ anger over billing changes for tenants
- 10 Teaching mentor comes 'full circle' working at Islington school
Flack stood in front of the glass-enclosed dock to confirm her name, address, date of birth and that her nationality is British before the single charge was read out in court.
Flack was arrested and charged with assault by beating after police were called to her Islington flat on December 12.
Irish TV presenter Laura Whitmore will take over hosting duties on Love Island and its companion show Aftersun when filming commences in South Africa in January.