Man arrested in Finsbury Park mosque murder probe
A man has been arrested on suspicion of murder after an imam was killed at a mosque in north London after taking morning prayers.
The victim, who has been identified locally as Sheikh Maymoun Zarzour, was found dead at the scene.
Police were called by London Ambulance Service on Friday morning to reports of a man seriously injured at the Muslim Welfare House in Seven Sisters Road, Finsbury Park.
The mosque, in a statement, said it is thought that the religious leader was killed in his office after taking prayers.
Police said a man was arrested at the scene on suspicion of murder.
You may also want to watch:
In a statement, Scotland Yard said: “At this early stage, inquiries continue to establish the full circumstances and any motive, although we believe the person we have arrested attended the mosque.
“This is not believed to be a race or faith hate crime.”
- 1 Archway murder investigation launched as 15-year-old victim named
- 2 Archway stabbing: 16-year-old arrested on suspicion of murder
- 3 Islington man sentenced after spate of motorbike and bike thefts
- 4 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 5 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 6 Barnsbury homes evacuated after burst Thames Water pipe floods basements
- 7 Archway man jailed after causing 'totally avoidable' crash
- 8 Tributes paid to Islington student fatally stabbed in Tottenham
- 9 Angel Comedy Club launches mockumentary series to save venue
- 10 Two 16-year-olds charged with murder of Islington student
Police said they are not seeking to make any further arrests.
A statement on the Muslim Welfare House Trust’s website said: “Our imam has passed away this morning after he led prayer.
“The police is investigating the case but it is thought that he was killed inside his office.
“We would like to send our condolences to all the Muslims in north London and the UK.
“The sheikh was very friendly and never had an argument with anyone in the community during his career in this mosque.”
Police are informing next of kin of the dead man who live outside the UK.